Are These LED's Good Enough?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Byron wrote:
I would however caution you that T5 is very bright lighting, and four tubes would be way too much light for what you are intending.

I'm not clear as to if those are T5HO bulbs or the lower wattage T5 normal output bulbs. which put just over half as much light as the HOs. I use 3 normal output t5s and they are perfect for medium light needs.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Byron wrote:
I would however caution you that T5 is very bright lighting, and four tubes would be way too much light for what you are intending.

I'm not clear as to if those are T5HO bulbs or the lower wattage T5 normal output bulbs. which put just over half as much light as the HOs. I use 3 normal output t5s and they are perfect for medium light needs.
I keep forgetting that some places do have the NO (normal output) tubes; here you can only get HO (high output), so I was referring to HO. Thanks for pointing that out.

The NO are roughly equivalent to the T8, all else being equal. Given the cost difference (T8 is less expensive) the NO may not be so common since one has to pay more for much the same. HO is about 1.5 times brighter than NO/T8, again roughly speaking.

On another forum, I was informed that HO fixtures will not take NO tubes, but I've no experience myself; if this is true, one has to be careful when buying the fixture.

Byron.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
OK, so I had this all planned out. I was going to get a dual bulb T5HO and eventually add the Current USA fixture I originally posted about. Then you guys had to throw experience into the mix and mess me all up LOL. Thank you guys. I really appreciate it! I am going to end up with the Current USA LED's or an equivalent eventually. I like the settings it has on it, and my kids will get a kick out of the novelty of playing God with the fish.
If what Byron says is accurate, and one T5HO bulb is equivalent to 1.5 T8 bulbs, then could I run one T5HO bulb on a dual bulb fixture? Then I would just need to make up 1/2 of a T8 worth of light. This is where the LED fixture could come into play.
I do plan on upgrading to CO2 nd high light plants eventually, and I would have the extra T5 bulb to accommodate. Cost is definitely an issue with this project. So starting off with some shop lights isn't out of the question for me. But now I am confused about what Byron was saying about if they would be available or not. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
OK, so I had this all planned out. I was going to get a dual bulb T5HO and eventually add the Current USA fixture I originally posted about. Then you guys had to throw experience into the mix and mess me all up LOL. Thank you guys. I really appreciate it! I am going to end up with the Current USA LED's or an equivalent eventually. I like the settings it has on it, and my kids will get a kick out of the novelty of playing God with the fish.
If what Byron says is accurate, and one T5HO bulb is equivalent to 1.5 T8 bulbs, then could I run one T5HO bulb on a dual bulb fixture? Then I would just need to make up 1/2 of a T8 worth of light. This is where the LED fixture could come into play.
I do plan on upgrading to CO2 nd high light plants eventually, and I would have the extra T5 bulb to accommodate. Cost is definitely an issue with this project. So starting off with some shop lights isn't out of the question for me. But now I am confused about what Byron was saying about if they would be available or not. Thanks for all of the help guys!
You need to check around locally to see what is available. Plus there is onine. The only issue with buying fixtures online is that you may not be able to return them [I had this problem and had to sell a fixture that was not adequate]. So check things out.

To the light issues you raise here. A dual-tube fixture usually requires both tubes lighted; removing one tube, or having it burn out, will mean the other won't light either, unless the fixture has dual switches (most do not). If you get a dual tube T5 that will take NO and HO tubes, you will be all set. I don't know if they will or not. Two NO tubes would be moderate-high light now, and when CO2 is added might still be sufficient (depending upon the plant species) or could be upgraded to HO. But this only works if the fixture works with NO and HO.

Over a 75g, dimensions being 4 feet length by 18 inches width (front to back) and height probably around 20 inches, you will not want more than one T5 HO tube or two T8 tubes or T5 tubes. I have two T8 over my 70g and I have to be very careful with algae. Adding any more light to this and you will see algae increasing and that is a problem you want to avoid.

The type of tubes plays into this too, but no point getting into that until you know what fixture you are likely to get.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store