Are wood shrimp active?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would like to know if wood shrimp are supposed to be active or not? Mine are quite inactive, they tend to stay in the same spot for longer periods of time, either not moving at all or moving very little. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
How active is a filter feeder supposed to be? Wood shrimp when happy as larks are sitting very still facing current which carries food to them. The only movement seen is the flicking of their fans to their mouth. Then every x hours they will wander around a few minutes seeing if there is a better spot,

Not active at all, but not bashful either, in my tanks.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks RTR. I find that my wood shrimp will sometimes sit still for a while, maybe 15-20 minutes while I watch them, without their fans open. Is this normal as well or should they always have their fans out?

Kagh't

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
they won't always have their fans out, usually they're just lazy little guys anyway, so when they're not feeding, they're sitting:p

thekrib

AC Members
Sep 8, 2003
Davis CA
Visit site
my bamboo shrimp is a character...he can be very active for long periods of time, and i love how they find strange "poses" in the current, i often find mine upside-down in a floating piece of wood...im glad he lived he had a run-in with an angry buffalo head cichlid and the shrimp is so stubborn he will try and chase a fish that bothers him away...he ended up with 1 leg!!!
but he regrew all of them and hes doin great now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store