Are you emotionally attatched to your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
yes.

anyone who says otherwise but has more than 3 or 4 tanks is a liar:grinyes:

LOL@VoltMan.

Guess I can't lie then......:Angel:

I'd have to say that YES I am to an extent.

I know that I'm HELLA attached to my Frontosa b/c I've had them (the original ones that are still alive) for around 17-18 years & half of the fish in my tank are 2 & third generation, born in my tank & grown out. I'VE EVEN GOT FRY AS WE SPEAK,....so I can add one more generation to the list.

LJx

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
I have mollys and platys and there is one I am especially fond of- my black molly.
She is so fun to watch and greets me in the morning- sort of owns the tank, too- I enjoy watching them all but she is my fav and I will be sad if she dies- but, not like loosing a dog. With the mollies I know they don't live as long and part of having an aquarium is to know that fish die sometimes.

raduque

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
I'll never equate losing a fish, even one I've had a long time, with losing my dog that I grew up with, who was my best friend for a number of years.

However, I was sad when two of my rosy barbs and one tiger barb died. I'll be upset if I lose any of the fish that I've now had for over a year (the rest of the Tigers, the last rosy barb, or my paradise fish), or the mollies from my 10 gallon. Those little guys have tons of personality, and I've grown quite fond of them.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I'll never equate losing a fish, even one I've had a long time, with losing my dog that I grew up with, who was my best friend for a number of years.

However, I was sad when two of my rosy barbs and one tiger barb died. I'll be upset if I lose any of the fish that I've now had for over a year (the rest of the Tigers, the last rosy barb, or my paradise fish), or the mollies from my 10 gallon. Those little guys have tons of personality, and I've grown quite fond of them.
Fish can be like that too. Debra Mark, for example, raised a giant pacu to 35-40 pounds in a 3240g tank, and it died (not from old age) at 28. I couldn't imagine the pain of a pet loss like that, that's older than some horses get.

mdwalt1

AC Members
Jan 11, 2003
Texas Gulf Coast
Visit site
I have a Green Terror who is 5 years old and raised from a very small "minnow". He is genuinely interested in what goes on in the household and will follow me (as far as he can) to the kitchen and wait until I come back into the room. He can see across the room and when I'm feeding the other tank, he knows he's next and gets very excited. This fish has so much personality, he thinks he's human.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
:woot:
YES ofcourse I am LOL I started in this hobby with one goldfish which then progressed to two goldfish when I started I had no idea what I was doing two goldfish in a 5g they were my first attachment and when they died I was heartbroken. I quickly learned that goldfish in a 5g was not the ideal for them and felt like a failure. I then learned about properly cycling a tank and about other tropical fish. I now have 3 tanks a 3g with a betta named Haley and the 5g now houses my other betta Merlin am I attached to them YEP! They have personalities I never thought I would see in a fish. They greet me and show excitement when they know they are going to be fed. The fish in my 36g I am attached to as well I have a variety and they all mean alot to me. They are your pets just like a dog or cat is and they all have personalities of their own. I agree I put on my fav jazz station 101.9 and turn on there tank lights watch them swim and they do bring your stress level down I enjoy them immensely!

Last edited:

FishRfine

AC Members
Jul 8, 2007
ABSOLUTELY! When my arowana died I cried for a month. I raised that fish from a three inch baby to a 28 and a half inch beast. Of course I was attached to my fish!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
Some of them... our BP Cichlids, Fancy Goldfish and Flowerhorn.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I get very attached to individual fish that I've had for a while. Schoolers, not so much. I'm always sad when one dies, but its a general sadness for the loss of a life and the guilt that maybe I could have done more to prevent it. But with fish that I know personally, like my goldfish that I've had for years and the betta I just lost this morning, tears get shed. He greeted me every time I sat down at my computer and would jump to snag bloodworms out of the turkey baster. He would flare at his ADF companion, and follow my finger. How can you not be sad when something that has brought months to years of joy dies through no fault of their own?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Sorry to hear you lost your Betta, Vanessa. They're easy to get attached to. I'm the same way about certain fish but usually not schoolers, maybe because they feel the same way about me. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store