Arowana not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
my arowana has not been eating for 3 months and ive been trying to feed it shrimp, what can i do?
I’m pretty sure it’s eating something, maybe just not when you’re looking, I doubt an aro would live three months on no food. Try mixing in other things tho like blood worms , crickets, silversides, fresh tilapia

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The OP hasn't been on here since 9/30!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If it's breathing and you're asking, which I assume it is, then it probably isn't dead. :rolleyes:

Healthy fish can go days and even a few weeks without feeding, without any long term health issues. When I've gone out of town for business, for up to two weeks, my fish don't eat as I don't trust anyone in my family not to overfeed and create worse water quality problems. But my fish are healthy, well-fed and in good condition before I leave.

Larger and tough fish may also go a month or more, but that is generally a sign of either outright neglect, underlying health problems or the fish not recognizing what you're trying to feed as food (especially if the fish was used to live foods). I once was given a 3" dempsey that a friend found after one of his tenants had abandoned an apartment and left it needing an entire remodel. By the time Ian got around to clearing the apartment to prep it for a new renter, the fish had been there for 3 months without any care and was in 3" of water in a 20 gallon high tank. She lived for years after I got her healed up, though she never layed eggs even though she paired with a male I later purchased. The neglect had taken it's toll.

How large of a fish in what size tank? What is the nitrate leveI, the pH and the water hardness? How is your arowana acting? Is it swimming or just lying listlessly on the bottom? Have you tried feeding anything besides shrimp? Are you keeping the food in the upper part of the aquarium when feeding it or are you letting the food sink to the bottom? Arowanas don't always recognize food lying on the bottom of the tank, as in nature they feed on fish in the upper levels of the water column, on small water birds, on insects and even on small mammals on the surface of the water. They will even jump out of the water to snag small animals in low lying branches of trees when the forest floods. Are you seeing any outward signs of disease, such as fin rot, red streaks in the fins, cloudy eyes or pop-eye, loss or decay of scales, or any sign of external parasites? Does the fish have a sunken belly? Can you take a good pic of the fish, as that would help a lot.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I usually look to make sure I'm not wasting time on old threads that are revived, but missed this one. ?

The video is still cool, though.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store