Article Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
ar·ti·cle Pronunciation (ärt-kl)
n.

3. A nonfictional literary composition that forms an independent part of a publication, as of a newspaper or magazine.

Look at some of the posts in the article section. They are authored by members here at AC explaining topics of intrest ussually commmen questions in detail so that members can find answers to there questions. Think of it like an online fish magazine with lots of info.

Last edited:

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
I don't know if this should be an article, or take some other form- Sample combinations and stocking levels for different sizes of community tanks would help a lot of beginners. It's something that a lot of people can contribute to.

I'd suggest combinations that include some of the fish that all beginners seem to want, like neon tetras, as well as good community tank combinations that are less obvious. Maybe tanks sizes ranging from 5 to 29 or 55 gallons?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
coupedefleur said:
I don't know if this should be an article, or take some other form- Sample combinations and stocking levels for different sizes of community tanks would help a lot of beginners. It's something that a lot of people can contribute to.

I'd suggest combinations that include some of the fish that all beginners seem to want, like neon tetras, as well as good community tank combinations that are less obvious. Maybe tanks sizes ranging from 5 to 29 or 55 gallons?
that would be a good article for newbies that dont really have enough experience to care for more challenging fish.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
id be happy to write some beginner stockings for some tanks. i would like to write it with someone else for i am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to afrcan cichlids, but i am good with south american fish/ livebearers/ and aisan fish, goldfish, and of course, the occasional invert.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
jm1212 said:
id be happy to write some beginner stockings for some tanks. i would like to write it with someone else for i am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to afrcan cichlids, but i am good with south american fish/ livebearers/ and aisan fish, goldfish, and of course, the occasional invert.
For the community tank, why not start out with a couple simple set-ups with colorful beginner fish, maybe for a 10-gallon and a 29 gallon, and post them in the article section?

I'm sure a couple people will "carp" about them, but it's better to get something rolling-

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
There's other sites out there that have actually written simple calculation pages, assigning values primarily on the diet/speed/pooping habits of the fish. The drawback to this is you have to count on a person being honest with their inputs. But I feel it was very worthwhile for me, a newbie. I could see how diet and where the fish fed changed the index values, etc.

On the other hand, an article that could post a few A, B, and C choices, with each of their pros and cons would be very neat. Helpful too would be a brief guideline on the best look/decor for the chosen fish. (For instance, I changed my gravel's colors THREE times before I got it right! *lol*)

I've also noticed during my time here so far, everyone seems to have their own definition of Overstocked/Understocked. It's somewhat confusing, I guess because each person more or less seems to have a gut feeling or opinion about it. Some hard formulas/guidelines (although exceptions always exist, additional filtering etc.) would be really helpful, rather than 'you're overstocked!' 'He's hardly overstocked, add some more of this.'

Thank you for your very helpful articles. I've read many on Cycling, and yours answered the best questions. No one usually mentions the light levels/potential for algae, or the baking soda/hardness solution. Thanks!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
NeonJulie said:
On the other hand, an article that could post a few A, B, and C choices, with each of their pros and cons would be very neat.
thats what i was thnking about doing.

probably two stockings for a 5 gallon tank, 2 or 3 for a 10 gallon, 3 or 4 for a 20 gallon, and then 3 or 4 for a 29 gallon, and possibly some for a 55 gallon, but when you start getting that big, alot more fish will fit in there, and the list could get long.

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
NeonJulie said:
There's other sites out there that have actually written simple calculation pages, assigning values primarily on the diet/speed/pooping habits of the fish. The drawback to this is you have to count on a person being honest with their inputs. But I feel it was very worthwhile for me, a newbie. I could see how diet and where the fish fed changed the index values, etc.

I've also noticed during my time here so far, everyone seems to have their own definition of Overstocked/Understocked. It's somewhat confusing, I guess because each person more or less seems to have a gut feeling or opinion about it. Some hard formulas/guidelines (although exceptions always exist, additional filtering etc.) would be really helpful, rather than 'you're overstocked!' 'He's hardly overstocked, add some more of this.'
The fact that there are infinate combinations of fish, and differing opinions on how much maintenance is too much maintenance is why I was suggesting something move universal such as waste build up rate so that users could rate their own tanks, and compare that to the maintenance level required and the risks of skipping skipping a waterchange.

I don't think such a thing would really help newbies with their initial stocking of their first tank, but then they rarely come here before then. I think it might prevent them from buying additional stock and making a bad situation worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store