Artificial Mudskipper Burrow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
One of the mudskippers has been going into the burrow at night and I haven't even done the tide simulation at all. Perhaps he thinks that high tide is in?
Also I think I have both a male and female mudskipper. They guy's fins are high in the air and the corners are pointed but the female has smaller, rounded fins.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I remember trying to do that, I don't think his email address still exists. Also I had to help a mudskipper out of the burrow.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
On Monday I installed a 6.5 inch plastic tube and since I think Tuesday one of the mudskippers (I think the male) has been staying in there. I did put in a big fiddler crab who has been using the upper half of the "burrow" but the mudskipper seemed pretty annoyed when it went in deeper WHILE THE SKIP WAS STILL THERE. I took the crab out yesterday but the mudskipper STILL won't leave his burrow. I think I've seen him look like he was trying to come out but it should be easy because the tube is barely slanted upward, and he's gotten out of steeper tubes. I'll show pics later. What do I do? When will he leave the burrow?

Last edited:

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Bad news. It turns out that when I tried to take the mudskipper out of the burrow he was dead. Despite how calmly I'm typing I'm pretty angry/depressed right now. I don't know if he drowned (the water at the bottom of the burrow was a cm deep) or if he got attacked by the crab which led to infection which killed him, (he had one swollen eye when he was dead) or if he starved to death or what but I'm very sorry about it.

However, the girl doesn't seem to give 2 craps about it, she was also frequently harassed by him. She just spent today killing crickets and whatnot. I hope she isn't too bothered by his death, but if she is I'll by a few more female mudskippers when they are in season at this one store called fins n feathers. But she actually seems more interested in my face that any other mudskippers.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
The female is still alive and okay though, and the fact that she isn't moping around is making me feel good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store