Assassin Snails and what I have learned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
So I got a couple of large assassin snails a couple days ago from a great mod here. I read this entire posting by sunguru and I have a few things I noticed that I thought I would just mention.

So far both were very active today, I have seen one eat 3 entire snails in about a 3 hour period. The other has a whole pile next to him of empty shells. From what I had read they only eat one snail a day? These ramshorn snails were each larger than the assassins themselves. Does this seem in line with your observations?
When you first get them they will have a tendency to eat a little more. The basic rule is 1 to 2 snails equal to their size a day. If the snails are smaller it might eat more. Mine on average eat 1 a day because they will go a day or 2 not eating anything then eat 2 and take a break agian. If that makes sense.

I also have found that the sand substrate tank I had just setup for my rcs seems to kill all the snails I throw in it. I threw a bunch of ramshorns in and they all shriveled up and died. Originally the assassins went into their shells so I quickly put them in my larger flourite bottom tank and they perked right up after a day, any idea what is with the other tank. Fish and shrimp are doing fine in sand tank!

Thanks
That sounds like there is something in the sand that is not right. I have Assassins in Play Sand, Eco-Complete, Normal Gravel, and Flourite Black Sand with no issues. What kind of sand is it?

um...will they eat their own kind if it was dead, dying, or injured? I think I just saw mine doing that.
Mine ingored the other Assasins when dead or dying. Are you not sure you were seeing a mating? Sometimes when the clamp together to mate it looks like one is eating the other.

Maybe we ought to change this thread name to "The Gurus Answers your Assassin Question" and sticky it...:rofl:

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
They are definitely eating more than 3 or 4 a day for me. Mine seem to play dead with the little hose thing sticking straight up and then the other snails crawl up on them and they wrestle them over then suck them out of the shell.
The only thing I can think is because they cant bury in the flourite they are compromising by laying upside down to make the other snails think they are dead. They were at first hiding in the crevices of the driftwood until a snail went by then went after them. They are fun to watch and hope everyone that has them posts what they experience here, id be interested to see what theirs are doing.

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
No I got HTH pool filter sand which is all silica so it shouldnt be a problem. I did notice after day 3 that the ramshorns are starting to emerge but they are slow moving still.
Not sure what the issue is but Ill keep checking.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Okay another observation.

My snails have gone into a breeding frenzy since the days have started to warm and get longer. Makes me think that they have a breeding season since I did not see much action over the winter, but have 9+ mated pairs now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store