assembly page: new 150 gal freshwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ghostknife

eats bloodworms
Dec 14, 2006
Key West
Hi All,

A couple of months ago i posted a hello and my existing 38 gal tank here; http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90928&highlight=ghostknife

Here is my new 150 gal tank, empty, with the budget regulator standing in front of it.

I plan to make it a mixed planted/ stocked tank of peaceful tropicals. I have ordered all the equipment to get it started and I will list the stuff as assembly progresses. I appreciate any helpful advice and I hope that others can learn from my successes and failures.

150tank.jpg

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I love assembly threads. Can't wait to see the progression.

Is that where the tank is going to be? If so, how often is that AC (looks like an air conditioner to me) used in the background?

Yes- definitely keep us posted!

ghostknife

eats bloodworms
Dec 14, 2006
Key West
a/c

thanks for the question, xv. Its located in Key West, Fl and that is its final location in the house. So its always hot down here, except maybe a couple days a year. The A/c and fishtank have been placed to cool the aquarium as well as the room. The a/c is left on most of the daytime and shut off at night, unless its needed at night to cool the aquarium further. I had the 38 gal in the same location and the system works great.

I just read up on cycling and fishless cycling in preparation for the equipment. What I will do is take some of the gravel from the existing tank and put it in the new one, as well as some water and run the old filter on the new tank. curious as to whether feeding an empty tank would help cycling.

One note about budgeting, this is much more expensive than i thought it would be. I felt better about it last week when i ran into a friend at the LFS who has a 125 gal reeftank. Looks fantastic, perhaps the best aquarium ive ever seen, but he spent $14,000.00 on it.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Oh nice! Yeah, I've been to Key West and saying it's hot is an understatement (got severely sunburned while riding a rented scooter- good times though). Makes sense for the AC!

It is expensive but, in my opinion, worth it in the end.

(Is Hog's Breath still there?)

:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good sized tank, more pics as you progress!

Mr.Goode

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2007
Great Tank

I'm new to the board. That is a nice size tank I'm considering purchasing a 29 Gallon, leaning towards the fresh water side until I move, then I will purchase a 150 Gallon and go with the Salt Water habitat. Judging by the size or you 150 gallon. I think a 129 Gallon Tank will look very nice. Again nice tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store