"Asst African Cichlids"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah that would be too easy but when i say they are getting them really cheap man they are getting them really cheap in box lots, if they sell them at 1.99 a piece to the public you bet they are only paying 50 cents a piece for them, mark up is outstanding with aquarium fish especially the bread and butter fishes..

But i have seen this every where lately and it seems to be the new fad..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Why don't fish stores buy them in batches, ID them, separate then sell them for higher princes? To me, it looks like another cheaper source for them if they are not hybrids.
Because that would be too much work. ;)

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with that analogy and would make sense..

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
That's it I'm quitting my current job. I'm gonna become a millionaire soon! All I need to do is to ID few million fishes. What a dream job!

Ok, let me think about that again when I wake up in the morning...

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I have seen these tanks in a few chain stores lately.. I acctually sat at petsmart a couple hours ago and IDd them

Yellow Labs
Zebras
Albino Zebras
Kenyi
Peacock

and 1-2 hybrids

the others were definately purebred though-- and cheap

im gonna go buy a couple tomorrow

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
We have these tanks in the UK too.

Sometimes they are hybrids, sometimes it is just a big mix of different species.

Not being an expert, I never looked too hard at them and just stayed away.

I'd rather be certain of what I'm getting.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Thing is.. the types of species that they tend to mix together are very distinctive at least in my experience.. easy to tell apart

they are not great broodstock im sure.. but many of them are definately not hybrids

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
replace the "definitely" in the previous posts with "probably". this is petsmart/petco we're talking about here, in terms of keeping fish in a 1'x1' cube; there are bargains to be found perhaps, but their conditions and provenance are definitely subpar.

if you can ID them, though yes, that's an easy way to get started. and if you don't care about hybrids, well, you're all set :).

but you're probably not reading these forums and keeping up on what the fish are then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store