Attempting new substrate carpet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
After reading a few articles on different amphibious grasses, I was able to identify this species as Panicum repens or Torpedo grass. This species is amphibious but growth is greatly reduced when the grass is submersed in 10" or more of water. Although this grass benefits from a water logged soil substrate, it grows best when emersed and the rhizomatic reproduction tends to slow down the deeper the roots are submerged. The grass still grows fairly well but instead of carpeting across the substrate it extends upward until reaching the water surface where it pokes out and forms long-torpedo like blade bundles. It still looks nice, but is not what I am looking for (as far as carpet like growers), so I decided to remove it all and scrap the project. Anybody interested on reading about this grass can visit this website http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/panrep/all.html This is where a bulk of my information came from.
1013131218.jpg1013131218b.jpg
Somewhere along this experiment I purchased some frog bit from my LFS to hold onto until I built my sump (they do not always get frog bit in). This was as good of a place as any.

1013131218.jpg 1013131218b.jpg

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
You might try using some of the guava and other wood in the streams as driftwood. I found a fair amount on the north side as well as on the Manoa Falls trail area on your side. Any decent stream bed you can hike up will have ample wood if you look(hard, dense is what you want and old/long dead). You might also find some decent stone to use along the way. Plate and longer pieces work better than round. Hot glue can be used to glue the rock together also. Most of the moss and ferns will also live quite well in the water/air interface of an aquarium.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Oh yes :) most of my decor is found in nature. for my 29 g i silconed rocks -that i found by the stream- together to form caves and I will be placing some kiawe branches in shortly. The stream by house is a combo canal of Manoa and Pololo stream (I believe) and flows directly into the Ala Wai. You cant miss my home if you are driving on Date street going towards Ewa, its the apartment complex between Iolani School (makai) and Kaimuki High (mauka). My apartment is the one with kalo, olena, and ki leaf growing on the lanai.
check out my blog to see more of my aquariums:
hemalamalokookawai.blogspot.com

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store