Attempting to Breed Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you think I will have success is raising baby Amano shrimp?

• Total voters

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I don't think I'm going to try with this batch of eggs. I looked at my shrimp and there is even less eggs then what there was from the last orange egg picture. Some of the eggs look broken open, but are not hatched with larva. Something might have happen during the Bacteria bloom, or
Co2 levels, fertilizer dosing, Kh, GH,or pH..

I will try again if the next batch produces a better batch of eggs.
Going to get some shrimp for my Cherry shrimp tank that has simple water perimeters and see if that makes a difference.

Will update this posting then...

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
My Amano shrimp has eggs again.

How safe would it be to move my shrimp into my cherry shrimp breeding tank to lay her eggs in?
I know when you get a shrimp from a pet store, you take a chance with the shrimp surviving. Would a healthy shrimp be perfectly ok moving to another tank that has totally different water conditions from what it is use to?

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
Moving a pregnant shrimp can be tricky, in my experience. It's not so much from the standpoint of the shrimp's well-being, but that of its eggs. The move can stress out the shrimp quite a bit and you might lose the eggs in the process. I've watched shrimp scrape out all of the eggs from her underbelly and discard them even though some of them were in the process of hatching. As a result, I was able to get a few larvae out of the batch, but the majority of the eggs did not hatch.

The best thing that has worked for me is to keep an eye on the progress of the eggs' development and moving the shrimp right when the eggs were ready to hatch. After observing them enough, you can get a feel for when they are ready. In my last batch, I was able to time it so the larvae starting hatching within an hour of moving the shrimp.

I haven't encountered any problems with moving an adult shrimp from one tank to another. So I try to keep their stay in a different environment as short as possible, and get them back to their tank quickly though.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Moving a pregnant shrimp can be tricky, in my experience. It's not so much from the standpoint of the shrimp's well-being, but that of its eggs. The move can stress out the shrimp quite a bit and you might lose the eggs in the process. I've watched shrimp scrape out all of the eggs from her underbelly and discard them even though some of them were in the process of hatching. As a result, I was able to get a few larvae out of the batch, but the majority of the eggs did not hatch.

The best thing that has worked for me is to keep an eye on the progress of the eggs' development and moving the shrimp right when the eggs were ready to hatch. After observing them enough, you can get a feel for when they are ready. In my last batch, I was able to time it so the larvae starting hatching within an hour of moving the shrimp.

I haven't encountered any problems with moving an adult shrimp from one tank to another. So I try to keep their stay in a different environment as short as possible, and get them back to their tank quickly though.
What did you feed to the larvae? Looks like culturing phytoplankton is troublesome to say the least...

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa

Thanks for the info, I will keep a eye on the eggs and try to catch them before they start to hatch.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
Do you have a tank dedicated for hatching the larvae? In my experience, they will not last long if there are any shrimp in the tank with them. Over the span of one night, the larval population can go from several hundred to only a handful, if any survive at all. It doesn't even seem to matter if the shrimp are well fed or not. There doesn't appear to be a problem with just the pregnant female in the tank, but any more than that could prove to be problematic for the larvae.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Do you have a tank dedicated for hatching the larvae? In my experience, they will not last long if there are any shrimp in the tank with them. Over the span of one night, the larval population can go from several hundred to only a handful, if any survive at all. It doesn't even seem to matter if the shrimp are well fed or not. There doesn't appear to be a problem with just the pregnant female in the tank, but any more than that could prove to be problematic for the larvae.
Yep, any shrimp will see the larvae as an easy meal.

BTW, pacalan, did you ever have any success rearing bamboo shrimp to adulthood?

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
I haven't manged to get the bamboo to adulthoold as of yet. To be honest, breeding the amano has taken up most of my attention. I tried to get the larvae from my bamboo a few times, but the move to the hatching tank really stresses her out, and I ended up putting her back in the main tank before the eggs hatch. I did pick up a couple of vampires to put in the growing tank, so I'm hoping that they will turn out to be a male and female, and I can get back to work on trying to raise a filter feeder of some sort. It would less stressful for me to take the other shrimp out of that tank than trying to catch and move an adult vampire. Plus, I don't think I could live with myself if something did happen to the female vampire from all of the moving. I'm really attached to those shrimp.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
What did you feed to the larvae? Looks like culturing phytoplankton is troublesome to say the least...

Sorry, I missed your post. Phytoplankton is the way to go for feeding larvae, at least in the beginning stages. I've tried different types of food as well as a commercial live phytoplankton, but it didn't seem to produce consistent results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store