Automatic Feeders, Should I or Shouldn't I?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bobpow

AC Members
Apr 17, 2016
I just went on vacation for one week and came back with most of my fish expired...so now I am looking into automatic feeders,,,for those vacation times. Does anyone have one they really like, would recommend? Thanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
More info....unless you have some real unusual fish and/or mix, one week shouldn't be an issue with no food.

More info on tank size/mix and time established....

Bobpow

AC Members
Apr 17, 2016
I have a 29g tall, I have had it established for about 1.5 months, prior I had a 10g that I started and cycled in November. When I setup the 29g, I used the filter, gravel and water from the 10 so the cycle didn't seem to be a problem. I do faithfully check my water and do the pwc,,,I am very anal about it. I currently have 3 otos, 1 cory catfish, as my 10 neon tetras and betta just died while I was gone. I was only gone a week, but the neighbor fed for me and when I returned.....I should have just fed them before I left and they would have probably been fine but I didn't realize that at the time.

We do leave sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time, and I thought that if I could take care of the feedings myself, I wouldn't have to have someone else....thank you.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fish expired not because of food. Fishes rarely starve in a tank.

Eviebella

AC Members
Jul 11, 2016
South Carolina
I purchased the Eheim 3581 automatic feeder earlier this year and have had good luck with it during several trips. (I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank).

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Normally overfeeding is an issue, and will cause increased ammonia.

How were your water parameters when you returned, and how big are your water changes normally?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
A suggestion for when you'll be gone for extended periods; try to find one of those plastic medication dispensers that you can put a month's worth of medication in. They have 28 individual lidded compartments. You can proportion food into them and have your fish-sitter feed just what's in the day's compartment each day.

Mark

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I agree with all of the comments. If you're going to be gone for no more than two weeks, don't worry about feeding the fish. Fish are more likely to be harmed by overfeeding and resulting bad water quality than they are due to underfeeding.

If you do want an automatic feeder, the Eheim is best, but test it carefully before you go, to be sure it won't overfeed your fish. Or measure the servings for your fish sitter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store