aXio's 55 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
So I finally got my light hanging contraption pretty much done. I need to do more adjusting to the chains to get the light in the proper position that I need it to be. The black strings I'm using currently are temporary until I get more hardware to do it properly.

Now before you guys go telling that there would have been much better ways to do it then what I did. Which I understand and agree with you guys. But I wasn't allowed to drill holes into wall and I wanted to do my best to use supplies that I already had here at the house. As well as doing it quickly and easily. So here are some shots of setting it up...

The cast iron bars I got at Homedepot for 10$/ea

The hardware I got from my old man. The copper brackets or whatever you would called them are really meant to hold copper piping in place, but they worked really well for me here. I hammered them down a bit to fit around the cast iron bar more snugly.

Some quick measurements to make sure the 2x4s were the proper length.

Here is the best pictures I could get of how I attached it at the back of the tank.

Shot of inside the stand. As u can see I used the extra prong/leg on the cast iron bar to my advantage. I used shims and one of the copper brackets to secure it even more to the stand.

I spent 7$ on this hanging hardware at Homedepot.

So here are the pictures with the light hanging and the tank. Yes I know the light isn't hitting the tank properly right now, which I'm going to work on correcting during the next few days.

So there you have it. If you guys have any suggestions on how to set the light more properly above the tank so that the light is hitting the tank evenly please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
I stop by the LFS today on the way home to see what they had plant wise. When I got there I saw that every single one of the plants where melted or completely dead. So after talking to the manager for a little bit he offered to sell me 3 plants at half price and then i could have a handle full of stems free.

Here is what I got. These pictures were taken after a LOT of pruning. There is almost nothing left of the stem after I got through with them.

These were labeled as Anubias Minima. I had to take off about half the leaves off each plant but the ones left are in good condition.

This was label as an Oriental Sword. I took off a good 75% of the leaves off this one. It's in pretty bad shape.

These weren't label. Can anyone give me an ID on these? It looks like some kind of Ludwigia.

ID on these as well anyone?

I put the Oriental Sword in my "sick pot" with the Ozelot Sword.

So... I just can't seem to take pictures with out massive glaring now with the light being raised. So you get to see my socks in this picture =)

More glare shots... =/ But my beautiful Fire Red finally came out a bit for me during picture time. He loves the new lighting.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Beautiful!

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
11/6/2011 Update.

I added even more plants last night. As well as got myself 6 Otocinclus Catfish. Also took out the piece of wood that was sticking out into the middle of the tank to make more swimming room for my big guy.

Current Flora:

Amazon Sword
Ozelot Sword
Oriental Sword
Red Rubin Sword
Anubias Nana Petite x 5
Anubias Coffeefolia x 3
Anubias Minima x 2
Anubias Gracilis
Green Tiger Lotus
Ludwigia
Eusteralis ( I believe)