Axolotl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

psycosis_03

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Hannibal, MO
An axolotl.... ever heard of one ? I think they would make a great pet... anyone know how I might get one?

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
Not a clue on how to get one, but they seem very awesom.
I would like to have one, but the price range is out of my area right now, and I have enough aquariums to care for as it is.

Good luck on finding one.

moesha

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
actually you can get the from www.wardsci.com under live specimens. they are 19$ plus 5$ shipping. make sure you have the tank completely cycled before they arrive. and only one baby should be kept at a time, they might nip each others gill stalks off. adults can be kept together but should at least have 10 gallons of water each. cold water is needed. above 68F will stress them. axolotl are wonderful pets tho i have an albino from wardsci and is doing great. www.caudata.org is a great place to learn more about them. what amazes me most is their powers of regeneration. axo can not just grow a new tail or toe, but the entire limb, or even organ. they are used alot in labs bc of this. there was one experiment where they removed half of the brain and it was able to regenerate it and function normally after. i think it has something to do its neoteny. but yes they are great and unusual pets and pretty easy to care for. most like bits of worm and shrimp, cut meat (not great for juvies) crickets, and pellets (sometimes) worms are definately the preferred choice. also should be kept with a substrate of sand or rocks too large for them to swallow.

psycosis_03

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Hannibal, MO
Thanks guy. ive been researching them online and ive really been wanting one. they seem SOO intresting.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
Do not take them from the wild, as very few arer left that are not captive. Always buy them albino. that is the only way to be sure you know you have the real deal. The water dog mimics the axolotal, although it is the eraly stage of a salamnander, and will only stay as a water dogfor up to a couple monthes. Albino waterdogs are quite rare, although albino axolotals are common among axolotals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store