baby midas and africans?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sir

Please, can I have some more?
Nov 21, 2007
well i currently have:

2 2" blue zebras (not cobalt blue, just regular blue....) - unknown gender
2 3.5-4" snow white socolofi - both females
1 1.5" yellow lab - unknown gender
3 2.5-3" yellow labs - 1m/2f (as far as i can tell)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
i promise you i am not a beginner. =D i've actually been into fish keeping for quite a while, just i haven't really needed that much help until now. :liar: hahaha. but like ya, i've become quite familiar with the behaviors of my mbuna cichlids, and i think that i can pull it off, but i really just want to know if i'm overstocking my 75gal? because i have heard that midas need lots of room and my africans get pretty territorial...
I didn't claim you were a beginner. :) Just stating an opposing point of view, so if any newbies are reading this thread, they are aware of possible issues.

The bolded part of your post tends to lead me to believe that this is an experiment. IMO. Due to the size they get and their most common personalities, is why everyone is recommending not to do it.

But it is your tanks and fish. Feel free.

:)

Sir

Nov 21, 2007
well its not as much an experiment as......well.........alright! lol. 0=) the thing is i kept a pretty good sized oscar with my africans and after adding him to the tank i left the house and when i came back the OSCAR was dead! =O so i tried a JD, but this time i watched them, and he was actually able to cope with my africans for a while, but they got bigger quicker than he did so they ended up beating the crap out of him so i had to put him up for adoption at a petco. So now i'm HOPING that since a midas so so much more badass than either of those americans, it might hold its own against my africans. =/ and i'm sorry. i over reacted about that noobie comment. 0=) and yes: NEW BEGINNERS THAT ARE READING THIS THREAD, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I wouldn't mix a Midas with Africans myself. I think if you do your labs could be in trouble.

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
i promise you i am not a beginner. =D i've actually been into fish keeping for quite a while, just i haven't really needed that much help until now. :liar: hahaha. but like ya, i've become quite familiar with the behaviors of my mbuna cichlids, and i think that i can pull it off, but i really just want to know if i'm overstocking my 75gal? because i have heard that midas need lots of room and my africans get pretty territorial...
The mix will work, from experience, your devil/midas might fight with em a little when they are the same size, but he will get so much bigger so fast, when your devil/midas gets to be full size, he wont even bother your africans, its almose like my africans are beneth my devil not worthy of his attention lol Sometimes he will bowl through them to get to food, but other than that he just ignores them. And just for the record, Oscar's are not that tough, africans can kill them, devils/midas cichlids will most definantly kill an oscar, once again Im speaking from experience. If you are really looking for a fish that africans cannot touch, Midas/devils are one, another is a black shark. A black shark will definantly bully africans as they are even more terrotorial and moody than devils.

Sir

Nov 21, 2007
ALRIGHT! thanks a lot! i'll try it out and keep you posted! =D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:) Yep, let us know.

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Here are some pics you might enjoy of a mixed tank, sorry nothing recent, these are all like 6 months old so no convict pics:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I would defiantly be sure to have a tank ready for the Midas, as I said...I don't think HE will have a problem, just the opposite in fact....the AFRICANS may. It is your tank and your fish, obviously do what you want. It may work, ya never know, really it will depend on the Midas itself.

Good luck:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store