Background color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Ok, today i bought a cynotilapia afra "red top".At the store its colors were amazing and now tehy are really dull. My background color is blue and on the otehr side is black. Right not im using blue. So will black bring out the colors in my fish?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
The color of the fish is probably dull as a result of being moved to a new tank. Once the shock wears off it will probably color up. If however this is not the case the color is there ask the store what color light they used and buy the same thing.

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
i agree whith anton,also: what other fish do you have in the tank?
most mbuna malawi ciklids(males) dont color up if they are not the dominant fish,for ex my auratus male hate my afra male,so i put him whith other fish and he show some nice coulor then.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
He is defiantly the dominant fish in my tank. He is almost 2 times bigger then any fish in the tank. He hasnt shown any aggresiveness yet tho. It has gotton some color back since yesterday. Ive noticed the farther away from the light and closer to my black gravel it gets the brighter his colors get.Also if it goes under a rock where there is no light and comes back out its colors are amazingly bright like teh darkness almost recharges his colors.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I think black backgrounds look good on most all aquariums.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
i used ot use blue on mine whichh mad ethe tank look brighter and cleaner but i switched one day to black and i personaly thought it made the fish stand out far more. but its really personal preference. i also use the natual looking backgrounds on some of my tanks as well. but "I" do like the black the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store