Bala Shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
I also agree...they should be in a big tank. I have 3 that are about 8.5-9 inches and they still have growing to do. They are not to skittish, as long as you don't run up to the pond/tank (obviously). They are in my 450g. pond during the summer and are housed indoors during the winter so they need room to move. They will outgrow your 28g in no time at all.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Forgot to mention... if you like sharks, a Rainbow (not Red tail) shark may be an option. I've kept one with Gourami, Cories, Ottos, and Loaches without problems. Not ure about the pleco though...

omordn

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
Thank you to whom have responded to my thread. I am really upset. Lol. I was thinking of getting a group of 5 but ****! my tank is too small. If I can get a bigger tank I would do it in a flash but I am limited in space. I'll see if I can find a rainbow shark then. I just want something that is not ordinary. Lol. I already have platies, a molly, and gouramis. I want something different. Any recommendations?

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Loaches!!! Yoyos or Kuhlis...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I wouldn't mix kuhlis and yoyos. Pick either of them. Kuhlis are far better choice though as yoyos grow to 6 inches and will need plenty of space to enjoy swimming around. Always keep in mind they are sociable so keep 3 as the minimum.

Chuck_T

AC Members
May 19, 2006
i had 2 balas im pretty sure they get up 12 " but they were in a 20 gallon when i first got them and were very nervous, i also pikced them off the floor a few times .i moved them to a 90g and they grew to about 8 inches pretty quick i had to get rid of them they were getting too big and chasing other fish around aswell as eachother

balastare.JPG

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I wouldn't mix kuhlis and yoyos. Pick either of them. Kuhlis are far better choice though as yoyos grow to 6 inches and will need plenty of space to enjoy swimming around. Always keep in mind they are sociable so keep 3 as the minimum.
I did use the word "or". ;)

Mrhfield

Fish in a barrel
Jan 13, 2008
Louisville
home.insightbb.com
Bala Sharks are beautiful but yes they are skittish. I had one for three years. it got at least 3.5 inches. He was a jumper. I think he would hit the lid for fun. I found him under my cat on his last day.

I have a question for the Bala shark experts. Where do Bala sharks live?

bellazeus

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Australia
Well I owned one for 5 years.. in a 36 gallon.. he got to be about 9 " along.. I was just trying to upgrade his tank when he passed away.

Funnily enough one of my friends has had one for about the same lenght of time and his is still only 2 inches.

He was amazingly skittish... he jumped out of his tank at least 5 times... once he was so dry when I found him that he was stiff as a board. All the paint has peeled off my wall behind his tank from the constant water splashing through the top.

AS far as being peaceful... he killed every tank mate I ever put in there with him even when he was small.. His only friend was a platinum green barb.

The noises they make when they are eating are hilarious tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store