Bare bottom tank for Salvini ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hi. I have a pair of Salvini in a decorated tank. I think I screwed up by using sand that really sucks. It was great in my betta tanks but it sat outside over the winter before I added it to the salvini and angel tanks Now it is harboring some sort of algae or maybe even mold and besides that it's too fine. Aside from that I really don't care for the way the salvinis dig it out.. They have a kind of tunnel dug in the back of the tank and rarely come out. I've seen that most large Cichlids are bred in bare tanks with, maybe a potted plant and some flower pots but I've never seen any videos of salvinis being bred like that.Any reason why salvinis should be treated differently than the larger Cichlids?

Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
LOL, you just provided what cichlids love. Sand to dig and hide. They maybe trying to breed, if not add some dither fishes.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Thanks. I know they love it! Thing is, I don't. I have some other tanks to worry about first so I'll probably leave them alone for a while but I was just wondering if they were any different than the big Cichlids that are often kept bare bottom.

Female is a little small yet but she is starting to color up a little. They might be looking to get amorous but I still might get the time to set them up the way I'd like if it's not something glaring about salvinis not being suitable.I just never see it online.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Most people use bare bottom tanks when breeding cichlids because it is easier to maintain a bare bottom than one with gravel/sand.
Probably the main reason you don't see it very often with salvinis is that they only get about 6 inches, not that big compared to an Oscar or a Jag and therefor don't have the waste output of a larger cichlid.
If you don't want them digging up the sand, you could try a larger grain gravel that they can't move very easily and you can siphon still, but will give your tank a more natural look than a bare bottom tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store