Battery backup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WateryWorld

Girl out of water
Oct 27, 2008
Louisville KY
I am considering the DC-250 air pump which would automatically start using the 2 D batteries for power if the AC power went out. I can also use it for transporting fish. I know these aren't so great, but I don't want to spend much. However I am interested in finding out other options I should consider. I like that the DC-250 would automatically switch over. Then if I were able to, I would plug the air pump into a portable bigger battery pack instead, and possibly run the heater through there too? I just had a long power outage so I am thinking of how to be better prepared next time. Also since I may be away from home more often, so I might be able to react as quickly to an outage.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I have also been considering a way to do this... please let me know what you find out :)

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Heat is the most difficult part, their power consumption would drain a battery system quickly.

Where I live in northern NJ we had a bad ice storm, similar to the recent one in the central states but here it was isolated to a small area of high (for NJ) elevation. Anyway, though I needed to use the dreaded cc, I broke down and bought a generator. It's gasoline powered, with no transfer switch, so if I were away it's no help but it can run most of the house. There's so much peace of mind having it, I wish I bought one years ago. Even if I use it once every other year. My son had his video games and dvd's (cable was down too), the fish and reptiles were fine, and I didn't need the Kerosene heater adding to my wife's asthma.

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
It all depends on how long you want/need to run a tank for on a battery backup. My 1500 APC UPS ran my tank filter, and heater (100watt) for about 12 hours before the power came back on. That was in the middle of summer so the heater wasn't turning on much....

UPS will work fine if you are just looking for something to buy you a few hours until you get home from work, etc.. for those outages that happen when you aren't home.

Generators are the 2nd line of defense.

An alternative is a DC to AC inverter, which you can find in any auto parts store, walmart, target, etc. These plug into your car accessory outlet or clamp onto the car battery itself and can provide longer run time than a UPS. You just need to start your car up and let it run every now and then to keep the battery charged. They are relatively cheap, and they do have models that are more pricey that will sense when your car battery is losing it's charge and will cut off automatically. I bought a 400 watt one for about $39. It can run both of my tanks.

So a lot of that depends on the size tank(s) you have as to what is the best fit... but all will do the job depending on what you are looking for.

I'll be buying a dedicated UPS for my new tank once I set it up - so that it can run for the few hours that it would typically be "alone" while someone is out of the house.

Very appropriate post given I woke up to the second snow storm of the season here in Charlotte and we have some ice as well.

cris gaston

AC Members
Jun 7, 2005
Hi. A UPS or an inverter are the same thing and may be the best solution to your problem. Get one that has an automatic change over in case of power outage and provisions for an external battery supply. Make sure that the unit is properly rated for your load requirement as heaters consume a lot of energy. The operating length of time is directly proportional to the size of the battery and inversely proportional to the load. I use one with auto change over and auto charging. I can go away anytime I want and sleep well at night. It is more than worth the investment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store