BBA - has anyone ever successfully eradicated it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Yea i am successfully killing off some bba right now. I direct dose 2oz h202 via syringe with the filters off and lights on a few times a week. Also, i simply dose 2oz of h2o2 with the lights on and 2 with the lights off. Never totaling more than 4oz per day and never more than 2oz at a time. I have a feeling that this post is confusing. enjoy.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Used a double dose of excel for 1.5 weeks and got rid of most of it. Currently back to doing regular doses and it hasn't really gotten worse although I think there are traces of it still left or at least dying (a bit off-colored). I'm hoping I'll never see the stuff again as I move into pressurized CO2 in Jan/Feb.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
i forgot my usual statement:
unless you fix the cause of your BBA you will never cure it with these bandaid's that we all suggest.

I am battling BBA because my dropchecker was taken out of my tank for cleaning, and then i put it back in several months later. and during that time i did not know that I accidentally unplugged my co2 tank during maintenance...hence the bba.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
am i the only person who won the battle with BBA without resorting to h2o2, excel and/or removing my hardscape and plants to treat?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
i forgot my usual statement:
unless you fix the cause of your BBA you will never cure it with these bandaid's that we all suggest.

I am battling BBA because my dropchecker was taken out of my tank for cleaning, and then i put it back in several months later. and during that time i did not know that I accidentally unplugged my co2 tank during maintenance...hence the bba.
ok, good point. I guess what happened is a combo of things. One is I am trying a new system and I would think it's not working so well and should just go back to the simple DIY with 2 2-liter bottles I had. I was trying to save myself some aggravation of throwing everything out from the first time..... I will need to reorder the powerhead...

So with this thought, how do I know if I have too much or too little CO2? The tank has been stable (cycled) for quite some time.

am i the only person who won the battle with BBA without resorting to h2o2, excel and/or removing my hardscape and plants to treat?
How did you do it?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A stable CO2 level is the easiest way to get rid of it. Also, it may be time to change your lights.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I'll add that I had too much light over my 10 g, I cut the lights to 1.8 wpg and added floating plants to shade the tank. and added co2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store