BBA

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Is BBA actually good for anything positive? I've had minor problems with it previously, but with the addition of T5 HO lighting, the growth has accelerated greatly. I'm aware of options such as spot dosing with Excel or hydrogen peroxide, but I'd prefer a more organic solution, such algae eaters, if they actually eat it. But, if it's actually a positive thing to have, I won't worry about it, and just let my bristlenose graze it off of the driftwood, and my RCS pick at it.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
BN's don't eat the stuff. I'm not sure about the shrimp bit I've never heard of them eating it. The only ones that I know will eat is a SAE. They get pretty big and do best in larger groups, so you need a larger tank. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than 75 gallons. They are very active fish. I've got 6 in my 125g and they are very happy.

Even with the SAE's in the tank, I control mine mostly with a green scratchy pad. When the log gets fuzzy I scrub it off with elbow grease.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It is the scourge of the aquarium works if you ask me. Get it in check now....or you will be covered with the stuff overnight. Adjust your photoperiod down. If you don't have plants get some....even just some floaters to compete for nutrients. This really helped me. I still have it....think I always will. But it is at least manageable now. Not many species eat the stuff....real Siamese algae eaters do. I also had some luck with Odessa barbs..for a time.
Good luck......also if you do a search for a BBA on this forum, you will find several excellent threads.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. I've been looking at some canister filters with inline UV filters. The wife wants quieter filtration, so that could kill two birds with one stone. I have a Top Fin filter (yes, I know, I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet) and an Aqua Clear on the tank. So, replacing the Top Fin with a canister that has the inline UV is more generally effective than just a UV filter for us, I think. That may be more effective in the long run, because then, treat once, and there's no subsequent infestation by spores in the water. I do have some plants, but I need more. I want more. I will have more. I just need to figure out what I want most. And, of course, do research.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Just so you don't put all your eggs in one basket.....I ran uv filters on my discus tank and still ad an absolutely horrendous outbreak of BBA.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
UV Filters work wonders for algae... if the algae is a free floating bloom that colors your water green. They're worthless against algae that grows on surfaces, especially BBA.

Trust me. I wasted my money trying that so you don't have to!

That's not to say that UV filters are worthless. Used properly they can prevent some diseases, and they do keep the water perfectly clear.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Yep got a UV light in one of my filters. Doesn't do anything for the BBA It does help clear out some parasites. For making the water really clear, nothing is better a lot charcoal in the filter.

The SAE's don't eradicate it from the tank either. They just nibble at it and slow down it's spread.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just so you don't put all your eggs in one basket.....I ran uv filters on my discus tank and still ad an absolutely horrendous outbreak of BBA.
Oh no, not all the eggs in one basket. It's part of a process. Had the time to stop by my LFS last night, and they actually didn't recommend SAE, because they can pick on my BN, and as they become older, they eat less and less algae, which kinda defeats the purpose. While I don't mind getting a fish for a job, I don't want it if it won't actually *do* the job. I got clown loaches in a previous set up because I had a huge snail problem. I was happy to keep them, even when the snail problem was largely eradicated. My LFS recommended multiple stiphodons, because although they will eat it, they get territorial, and won't get all of it, so you'd have to have enough to take care of the entire tank. Plus, with the quarantine process, it'll be a while before it actually can get to work. So, it looks like UV filter as a step, and then dosing with Excel, and if that doesn't take care of it, spot dosing with hydrogen peroxide. Thanks, yet again, for the advice, folks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store