Be aware of JBL ProTemp heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frifrap

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Yesterday I’ve installed a brand new JBL ProTemp S25, put the temp on 24 degrees Celsius (75 Fahrenheit) and today I’ve noticed that my water reached 33 degrees Celsius (91 Fahrenheit)!!!

Result, almost my complete population of around 50 crystal red S and SS grade shrimps boiled to dead… thank you JBL! :(

The manual stated that you needed to check the temperature within 24 – 48 hours with an thermometer and adjusted it if necessarily. Far from true in reality. I’ve should have checked the temp earlier but I never expected such a huge discrepancy. That there can be a discrepancy of 1 or 2 degrees ok, but 9 degrees Celsius…???

So be aware in case you would buy a JBL ProTemp, I suggest that you buy a aquarium heater from another vendor e.g. (Jäger/Eheim). In case you do choose for the JBL ProTemp at least control the temp very frequent after installing it and make sure to correct it on time.

frifrap

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Yes I contacted and informed the manufacture, waiting for a response (if any)…

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
Yesterday I’ve installed a brand new JBL ProTemp S25, put the temp on 24 degrees Celsius (75 Fahrenheit) and today I’ve noticed that my water reached 33 degrees Celsius (91 Fahrenheit)!!!

Result, almost my complete population of around 50 crystal red S and SS grade shrimps boiled to dead… thank you JBL! :(

The manual stated that you needed to check the temperature within 24 – 48 hours with an thermometer and adjusted it if necessarily. Far from true in reality. I’ve should have checked the temp earlier but I never expected such a huge discrepancy. That there can be a discrepancy of 1 or 2 degrees ok, but 9 degrees Celsius…???

So be aware in case you would buy a JBL ProTemp, I suggest that you buy a aquarium heater from another vendor e.g. (Jäger/Eheim). In case you do choose for the JBL ProTemp at least control the temp very frequent after installing it and make sure to correct it on time.
Quite frankly, I would never treat any heater like this. I never assume the markings on the heater are accurate at all, and I check back on the heater every couple of hours to ensure it is working as desired and that I'm making the right adjustments.

I'm sorry, but where live fish were concerned, you should have been more careful. If I'm wrong in my assumptions, by all means tell me where I'm reading this wrong.

frifrap

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Quite frankly, I would never treat any heater like this. I never assume the markings on the heater are accurate at all, and I check back on the heater every couple of hours to ensure it is working as desired and that I'm making the right adjustments.

I'm sorry, but where live fish were concerned, you should have been more careful. If I'm wrong in my assumptions, by all means tell me where I'm reading this wrong.
You are write, I agree with you. This incident is a good (but hard) lesson.

However I do believe it is quite an indication of poor quality control. Once more you are write, I should have been more careful, but such a discrepancy is to huge. I've received a message from a customer in the Netherlands who's reporting a discrepancy of 12 degrees Celsius! With a 200 watt JBL heater.

It's not that the heaters are broken, it is just the JBL calibration process (if any) is extremely poor, otherwise such huge different would not be possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store