Be careful what you ask for

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I had been on the prowl hunting for Moscow guppies for awhile and finally got some. They came from another member on this forum.

I have a 29 gallon that I thought would be perfect for them and that as they had them, I could pull the fry and stick them into another tank - my 5 gallon fry tank. Nice plan and ready to go. Yeah, right! So much for plans and being ready.

One of the females had fry within the week and the following week another had fry. I'm thinking "OK, I'll just leave them in the main tank and not worry about it." My yellow labs spawned and I used the fry tank for them. Great, now I got fry in the guppy tank, fry in the fry tank, fry in two of the other display tanks, and I wake up this morning to yet another batch of fry in the guppy tank!

Having had guppies for several years I never had problems with space in spite of their proliferation. Now I have enough to make guppy burgers and guppy sausages. I am certain my cichlids and Oscar would love them for snacks but the whole reason I wanted them was to enjoy the adults, not use them as feeders. It is so bad I am considering taking down 2 of the 10's and just setting up a 55 for all the guppies, fry included!:eek:

So, be careful what you ask for. You just might get more of a bargain than you counted on!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I will take some of the moscows off your hands :)

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
lol about the soup

start breeding them and then sell them! never heard of Moscow guppies, are they pricey and hard to find? if so, start building up your stock

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Hahaha, Never thought about Guppy Soup! Hmmm, will have to see if I can find a recipe. :rofl:

Yes, they are pricey as far as guppies go. Prices vary but it's somewhere around $30.00+ for a trio (2F/1M) plus shipping. What makes them unique is that the body is usually fully colored matching the tail. They are also slightly larger than the normal fancytails.

Moscow Blues

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Those are gorgeous!

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
Same exact thing is happening to me, but the difference is that I have muppy fry. My controlled experiment has been a little TOO successful and I now have over 60 hybrid fry! The myth is incorrect; the mothers are not experiencing difficulty from the size of fry. No signs of stress whatsoever, even after their 2nd drop! Average: 5-8 fry per drop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store