Beginner corals for low light setups?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hey everyone. To start, a little over a year ago I set up a new FOWLR setup in a 44 gallon tank. I just moved and ended up transplanting my water, LR, and fish into a new 29 gallon tank. The new 29 gallon tank is packed with the 45 or so lbs of live rock from my 44 gallon and looks great. I just have a Valentini Puffer and a Pseudochromis. I remember seeing a thread with beginner corals that require low light. Can anyone provide any information on this subject? I have a 30 watt halogen, so that's what I mean by low light. I have my live rock stacked to about 6 inches from my light. Unfortunately, upgrading to a more intense light is not an option now. Should I hold off on corals until I can get a decent light? Any info woul be great. TIA!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I have a 24 watt, 10,000k and all i can have are LPS corals right now, so if i can have them then im sure you can too, and there are some pretty awsome lps. maybe with some righter lighting we both could go to SPS

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
no, you don't want any corals that need light with 30w halogen. hold off untill you get better light or get corals that don't need light. don't buy sponges though, they are waste of money unless you want them for your angels.

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
interesting that you are using halogen on any fishtank, what kind of base is it?
if its a standard incandescent type fixture you could upgrade to cfls, more light and better color temp.
I'm sorry. Good catch. I meant florescent. Any more info on this upgrade to CFLS?

Any ideas on corals that don't require light?

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i have an idea on that ligh too. NO! i's still 30w and even with more watts you are very limited.

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the info. Like I said, unfortunately upgrading my light is not an option now. I started this thread to see what my options were and it appears they are slim to none. I'm not one to ask for advice and then disregard it so I suppose I'll wait until I get better lighting before venturing into the reef world :)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how about corals with a Nova Extreme T5HO 2x24watt?

Last edited:

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
DoctaQ is right though, changing the bulb will make colors of everything look much nicer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store