"Best" filtration method

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Uncarved Block said:
Is there a "best" filtration method for the home marine?? Basically, if someone were building an aquarium from scratch, what would you recommend? I've heard different things from different sources, and was just wondering what the AC experts would have to say about it.
No DSB (deep sand bed.)

If you're having a FO (fish only), a wet/dry with sump and a protein skimmer are best. You could add live rock to that for a FOWLR.

If you're having a reef, no wet/dry, but instead a protein skimmer, live rock, and a refigum.

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Why no DSB? I am of the opinion that in any saltwater tank they are benificial and would add much more surface area for bacteria to grow on than a more course substrate. Most fish only tanks I have ever seen have a very deep crushed coral or gravel substrate which I feel looks a bit weird and can trap wastes too easily, from my experience with gravel in FW tanks anyways. They are usually hard to clean really well.

I would still like to hear opposing opinions about it though so I can formulate stronger or better ideas/opinions.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Tommy Gun said:
I would still like to hear opposing opinions about it though so I can formulate stronger or better ideas/opinions.
Check out reefcentral.com. There's plenty of information there on why more and more people are staying away from a DSB, instead opting for bare-bottom.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Well there is quite a divided house on the benefits of a deep sand bed vs bare bottom. With a bare bottom you need very strong water flow to keep all the detritus in suspension so it can be removed via skimming.....IMO dsb is more estheically pleasing to the eye, is a great place for sand diggers such as gobies and jawfish to live. There is a whole school of thought on both and to say one is better than the other is a falacy regardless of what is touted on Reef Central. There are some very good forums out there. Read as many as you can and develope your own opinion from what you read.
Here is a great article
http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/rocksubstrate/dsb.html

good luck......

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
Personally I prefer a sandbed, although mine isnt all that deep its about 2-3 inches, but it has worked out great for me. I have a relatively heavy fish load, and my nitrates have never been a problem. I have about 2lbs of live rock per gallon though, im assuming thats why my nitrates wont go up. I've seen barebottem tanks, and they just dont look right. It just doesnt look as natural. To each his own I guess.

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Omega said:
Check out reefcentral.com. There's plenty of information there on why more and more people are staying away from a DSB, instead opting for bare-bottom.
Omega,

Without trying to be snotty or sound like I know it all, I can tell you that I have spent a lot of time on reefcentral.com and honestly, there is just too much conflicting opinions that people sort of 'turn into facts', which was the reason I dont visit that site too often anymore. I know that opinions vary a lot in this hobby and I doubt if anyone is really wrong when saying that a DSB is best or when saying that it is a bad thing since I am sure that many people have had success with both. However, my opinon is that a DSB is a 'must have' if planning to go with only natural filtration methods like I use since it offers so much more surface area for bacteria to grow in that is the driving force behind the natural filtration system. I would think that the sheer amount of live rock needed to make up for the sand could never fit into one tank unless it was a huge tank with only very small fish in low numbers. Just my opinon though but I also feel that it is an educated guess at least.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Uncarved Block said:
Is there a "best" filtration method for the home marine?? Basically, if someone were building an aquarium from scratch, what would you recommend? I've heard different things from different sources, and was just wondering what the AC experts would have to say about it.

Based on the fact I have had a stable micro (mini reef) for about 3+ years and it has been by far my most stable tank I would say LiveRock (LR) and a good sand bed. I would also say you should shoot for providing at least a pound of LR per gallon of water the tank will hold. My 10 gal mini reef has 12.5 lbs LR. It makes for quite a bit of rock. In addition to filtration, all the mobile creatures appreciate the environment greatly. In my case 1 Hermit, 2 Astrea snails, 1 false clown anemonefish, one yellow-tail damsel. I small in number, but lage is individual size, colony of Hairy Mushroom coral.

It is ironic it to me, to have a mini-reef to fully grasp the whole Bioload concept. I feel this expereince will help me greatly with the set-up of my new 280 gal.

Speaking of bioload do people thingk it would be OK to add a medium to large sized Feather Duster to this micro? If so, do you think I really have to add a liquid supplement for the Duster if it is the only one in this tank?

Please advise.

CYA

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Tommy Gun said:
Omega,

too much conflicting opinions that people sort of 'turn into facts' I know that opinions vary a lot in this hobby and I doubt if anyone is really wrong when saying that a DSB is best
I agree with Tommy Gun. All I will ever ask for on these forums is people's advice based on personal experiences. Same with myself, I'll speak to is what has, or hasn't, worked for me personally in the past or present.

Based on this approach, over the several years I have perused this forum I would have to say a lot of people have had wonderful success a DSB with a good mound of LR. I know I will be going this route myself for the foreseeable future.

Bill1171

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
New Jersey
I have a 90 gallon fish only sw tank. I am using a wet dry filter, an emperor 400, and a protein skimmer. I have sand as a base. After reading these posts, I have several questions.

Why no bio balls? I have been using them for years. If I remove them, what should I put in the wet dry in place of them? live rock?

Why no sponges? Should I remove all the filter pads? Should I replace them with something else?

What should I be using as filter media in the hang on filter?

A little off subject, but is sand also better for freshwater?

Thanks Bill

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store