Best ICH treatment??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wetmanNY

AC Members
That wasn't good lfs advice-- Clout for Ich. Clout is much more toxic, including an insecticide trichlorfon. It's used for more resistant multicellular animals, especially the parasitic flatworms we call flukes. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago passes their new freshwater arrivals through a short bath-- ten minutes only-- that builds up to full-strength seawater, in order to make flukes drop away. (It doesn't actually kill them.) I've never tried such a concentrated salt bath.

One-celled ciliates have fewer defenses: just one cell wall between them and the brine.

RTR's right as ever-- fishes do vary in their sensitivity to salt. At the first sign of heavy breathing or other stress, you should be ready to do a 50% water change, whether it's salt you're using or formalin/malachite green.

One thing about Ich: you can see when you've been successful.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Originally posted by Gebo
In your experience, what is the best ICH treatment?
This is probably going to sound wacky, but I recall reading elsewhere (AquaBotanic.com?) about using garlic powder as an ich cure. Anyone else have any knowledge about this? :confused:

--Anthony

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Quick Cure med probably is the best to cure Ich once you have it but a good Preventive is one teaspoon of salt especially when starting a tank.

Check out this site......it's interesting.

http://www.aquascienceresearch.com/apinfo/salt.htm

I have never had Ich in any of my tanks in 6 years. The only chem I have ever put in my tanks is Stress Coat and salt. If you put salt in a tank initially you have less problems in the long run.
If you don't believe me then what else could be the reason I have never had desease in my tanks? Luck? :)

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
i was waiting for this question to com eup but it didnt.. so ill ask it. What kind of salt are you using? and have you found one brand of it to be better then another?

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
For disease treatment and reducing nitrite toxicity, salt is salt is salt.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Actually Faramir for reducing the uptake of nitrite through the chloride cells in the gill epithelium, it's just a chloride ion that's effective.

There are other chloride ions besides those in NaCl. Calcium chloride has two Cl ions, because calcium itself has two positive charges (Ca++), viz CaCl2. So using calcium chloride for nitrite stress is twice as effective as using salt.

Potassium chloride also provides the same relieve from nitrite, and the K ion can be taken up by plants.

BUT, and this is the more important point, when you tell this to a "salter" you can see from the reaction you get that "salting" is actually magical. Loyalty comes into question. Appeals are made to opinion, and to accepted figures of orthodoxy, and one is invited to join "sides."

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I hope I never need it, but there is a product called "Super Ich Cure"... I may try that one if needed.

C.Anderson

AC Members
May 4, 2008
Soooo...apparently my Columbian Sharks now have Ich.

I just bought them last week, and due to their size (5"-7") I couldn't put them into a quarantine tank for any period of time. So...into the tank they went. A week went by, everything looked great. Then suddenly around tuesday, my Irridescent Shark started showing tiny salt looking white spots...he didn't flash, or show any other signs of discomfort or issues...so I started researching. Well, by today, the Columbians are showing salty looking white spots, and are flashing like mad. Definitely Ich.

Here's the problem...my tanks become a planted tank =/. I've worked sort of hard and some of the plants I've collected have become rather large (it's a 300gal tank). I most certainly do NOT want them to die...much less the Columbians. Is the answer salt? If so, what kind (aquarium salt? table salt? marine salt?), and also, a measured table spoon of each of those salts is going to result in a totally different dosage. A table spoon of table salt will contain a hell of a lot more salt than a table spoon of aquarium salt =/. So what is the actual correct dosage? I have a small bottle of quick cure...but I'm hesitant to use it. I know that in 'half dosages' it should be safe for tetras and catfish, but what about my snails and plants?

Bleh!! :wall:

Cris

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William

C.Anderson

AC Members
May 4, 2008
You can try a alternative. It's a medication, but it will not harm your plants or biological filter. Imo, it's pretty effective and it's organic

Ich attack will work

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm
I'm liking the way that looks. Unfortunately with a 300gal tank, and 2 doses a day...that's 2/3 bottle a day at 15$ a bottle lol. Minimum 5 days. My aquarium has been holding steady at 81*...so hopefully that should speed up the life cycle some.

Guess I'll head down to Petsmart and pick up 3 or 4 bottles and try it. It says it won't kill my shrimp, snails, crabs, or crayfish as well...which is very cool. Hopefully it kills the Ich lol.

Thanks!

Cris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store