Best Lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Algae thrives on imbalances. When you add high light to the system, the demand for ferts and co2 goes up accordingly. If you can't meet those needs adequately, algae often takes a foothold. It's more about focusing on what makes the plants happy since algae is always going to be there waiting to jump in.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Lord that EI dosing looks like a lot of money and work!

You know you're a fish nut when you put more resources and effort into your planted tank than your planted garden.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
For what it's worth, Current USA has a nifty LED system, the Satellite+, I think it's called, that my LFS (and some reviews I've seen on the non + version, the difference is wired or wireless remote, it seems) says it's good for low and medium light plants, it's relatively inexpensive, and has some really fricking cool effects.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
The lack of co2 is most likely the problem. And the more light you add, the more you are going to add to that problem without co2. As already mentioned, you need to have a balance between light, ferts and co2. I've had a lot of success sticking with low to medium light, and I only use osmocote+ tabs for the root feeders. Everything else does fine with my stock providing for them. I even have medium light plants that do well.

And as far as plants out competing algae, this really holds true only for faster growing plants. It's always a good idea to have something like hornwort and anacharis in the tank. They are nitrate sponges and help keep the levels at bay. If you don't want to go the co2 route, dosing Excel or API co2 booster helps as well. As far as I can tell, the two are very similar, so going with API would be cheaper.

And for what it's worth, I use a Current USA light on one of my tanks (a t5ho), and it's a pretty decent light. Definitely more economical than a lot of lights out there.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I am dosing excel. I dose 5 mL a day. But thank you for the advice.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Lord that EI dosing looks like a lot of money and work!

You know you're a fish nut when you put more resources and effort into your planted tank than your planted garden.
EI dosing is easy. Dry ferts are cheap. $20 will easily give you 18 months to 2 years before you need more. Measure the ferts out for the week, and put them in a weekly pill box. You dose the tank when you feed your fish. It's really easy. A pressurized CO2 system can be found for around $150 for a decent one. You can easily spend more on one though. I think in the big scheme of keeping fish, it's pretty reasonable. Plus, like filters, tanks, heaters, etc. it's a one time cost. Once you pay for your CO2 system, you only have to pay to have the CO2 bottle refilled. And that cost around $25 and should last at least a year. So once you figure out how many of what ferts to add every day, the EI system is very easy and affordable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store