Best Marine Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I use Instant Ocean as well. The only complaint I have about it is that I find that it leaves a tiny bit of residue at the bottom of the bucket when it completely dissolves. It looks like black specs. Happens almost every time, and I have used two buckets so far from two differnt sources. Anybody else notice this? I have been thinking about trying Tropic Marin.

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
Originally posted by goldfish freak
The only complaint I have about it is that I find that it leaves a tiny bit of residue at the bottom of the bucket when it completely dissolves.
Same thing here, could it be some sort of non-toxic preservative to keep the trace mineral and salt fresh? lol idk that's my best guess :cool:

sandl215

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
mass
Visit site
Yes, I to have noticed residue at the bottom of the bucket and wonder if it is excess calcium?

I have tried Tropic Marin. It is really wonderful stuff, but very hard to find.

My pet store has to special order it.. $30.00 for a container that makes 50 gals.

It dissolves instantly with no residue. And for some strange reason by rock seems to absorb it much faster than IO, which right now it isn't. Can't get my KH/ALK down at all.

I wonder if it is the IO?

sandl215

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
mass
Visit site
One more thought.

The last bag of IO I bought has a big orange "NEW AND IMPROVED" on it.

That alone leaves me to wonder, why?

Like they say. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Must have been broke and we did'nt know it.:)

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by wishmaster
Looks like Instant Ocean is the way I'll go. Thanks everyone
LOL wish - yeah, I'd have to say IO won that one :)

Well, at the very least, you know that tons of people use it and it hasn't caused any problems for anyone...with the exception of the small residue issue. I have to scrub out my mixing vessel every couple weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store