Best Substrate for Cory Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DFSmith

AC Members
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles
www.danielafernandesportfolio.blogspot.com.br
Real Name
Daniela
Hi, Patricia

Thank you!! I'm glad you like it :)

I got the rocks in a LFS called Aquarium, they have a lot of options, and they're all pretty cheap. I've paid $9,00 for the big one, and $6,00 for the small. I couldn't find anything like that at Petsmart and Petco, either. Actually, I saw the cories at the same store, and they have some really small ones, probably very young (and very cute!!)

I thought about ordering fishes from Msjinkzd, but to be honest, I didn't understand exactly what are the options these days, as shipping is concerned. How long did your take to arrive in your place? I'm afraid they're going to take too long to arrive and the poor things can end up dying :(

I'm thinking about 4 or 5 corys, for my 10 gallon tank. I guess that's not too much, right? I know they like to school, and I'd like to have more, but I'm afraid I'm going to be adding too much to the bioload...

I'm going to watch your video, thanks for sharing!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Your LFS should have a cheap, solid black or blue laminated plastic paper (sort of) for the background. The black would look really nice on your tank since you've got black gravel too. Its a big bang for your buck!!

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
If you're going plain back background, try a piece of black posterboard from the school/art supply section at your local chain pharmacy (cvs/walgreens on this coast). 99 cents & cut it to fit.

DFSmith

AC Members
Feb 12, 2013
Los Angeles
www.danielafernandesportfolio.blogspot.com.br
Real Name
Daniela
And by the way, I've bought some Panda cories today, couldn't resist them. The LFS had a lot of Hasbrosus cories, but they were soooo tiny that I was afraid they'd get hurt with the substrate... Even though everybody said it is safe for them, I don't know if it's safe for "infant" cories... Anyway, just playing it safe.

They were $3,99 each, and I've bought 3, and I've found (after buying ¬ ¬ ) that this same store is going to have a big sale next weekend, with all livestock with 20% off. If the cories like the set up I have and do well for this week, I'll probably buy 3 more :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Your tank looks great DF!

Good find with the panda corys. I know corydora selection is limited in my area. Lots of albino corys and one or two others if you're lucky. I found my emerald corys at Petco. Not my first choice, but they seem happy in my 29gal. I started with 5, but one died the first day. I've had them a month or so. The substrate in this tank is pea gravel from Lowes. It's bigger chunks, but the corys seem to be doing fine with it.

I have FloraMax substrate in my 10gal. Probably would be fine with corys, but it's super dusty if you stir it up.

IMO, I wouldn't go with more than 4-5 corys in your 10gal. I think they typically recommend tanks 20gal and up for corys, but if that's all you're going to have in the 10, 4-5 should be OK. Keep an eye on your water params. I know with my 10, I have 1 male betta and 4 small zebra danios. I do 2 water changes a week because every time I check it my nitrates are over 20ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store