Best way to clean empty tank with stains on glass???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
I emptied my 55 gallon freshwater tank and would like to clean the old algae, water and limescale stains on the inside of the glass...What is the best way to clean this to make it safe to add water and fish again...Any ideas...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have an empty 55 that I want to sell but it's got loads of dried up algae on the side.

Usually vinegar is recommended for hard water stains.
And a razor blade. :)

f|sH gUy

No Guts No Glory
Jun 25, 2009
Ventura, CA
I cleaned couple tanks that i found for free next to a garbage can even though soap is dangerous for fish you can still use it just be sure to rinse that tank really good after the soap cleaning. I never had problems after using soup just hose it all out.

mgarrido

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
NW Houston, Texas
I'm lazy..... Kaboom and them rinse very well!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
I'm lazy..... Kaboom and them rinse very well!
:22_yikes:

never use chemical cleaners on a fish tank! even the ones specifically designed for fish tank use tell you not to use them on the inside.

some bleach and a razor blade will help break up the algae.

rwaterman

AC Members
Aug 6, 2009
Indianapolis
Vinegar and a razor blade worked great for us... I aquired a 150 gallon tank that needed heavy cleaning and that is all that we had used. Looks great now! Good luck

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
For hard water stains vinegar. For a general cleaning/sanititizing throw a good double handful of salt in with just enough water to make paste. Scrub well with a plastic scrubbie and rinse. Nice thing about salt over soap is that a little left behind is no problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store