Best way to fully clean?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I purchased awhile back a small marineland 3G tank that is a all-in-one tank. I was housing a Betta in it and one snail. Well the Betta passed away, and shortly after the snail was acting weird and he just passed away too. I tested water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph, gh, kh) and honestly it wasn't bad at all. So I am confused what happened, maybe just old age who knows. But I want to give it a real good cleaning to get any contaminants out of it, then I will be storing it away till I want it back up or something. So what is best way? I was thinking hot water with some bleach and let it run? Probably toss the gravel? Driftwood I'm not sure if I should keep or toss? Any pointers I appreciate!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Depending on how long you will be storing it, I would just drain and dry.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Yea to be honest no clue how long it will be not used for, I already have a bunch of other tanks that's why this isn't getting put up. Maybe I'll just dry it all off, throw out the filter pad and store away.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Save yourself the trouble of cleaning it now. Just clean it with vinegar and or bleach when you get it out of storage and rinse well. You will want to clean it anyway with dust and whatnot settling on it.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
If I'm not using a tank for a while I clean it all the way. I've found not doing that the calcium buildup I leave etches the glass. Added advantage is if I need the tank in a hurry it's ready to go. You're already emptying it and you've made a mess. Just finish it up and be done with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store