Best Way to Move an Aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I wish to move my 55-gallon tank upstairs to my living room, where I tend to be more often than not.

What is the best advisable way to go about a massive tank move plus water change?

I figure I will save about 50% of the tank water to throw back in there when I get it all set up again, but as far as the livestock goes, what do you suggest?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Put all the livestock in the biggest plastic tub that you and/or a friend can carry without it collapsing in on itself. Plus keep all your filter media or gravel wet while you move it as well.

brackbrat

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
WI
*nods* I just had to move both of my tanks. I kept as much water as possible, in five gallon buckets. The fish went in there as well. The poor fish had a twenty minute drive, but everyone from my brackish tank made the trip just fine. My FW tank was another story...

ninjaish

Hooked on freshwater
Jul 31, 2008
Punta Gorda, Fl
**Agreed**i had to move my 55 from Pensacola FL to Punta Gorda FL (558 miles south) i had about 23 fish and put them in a livewell (which was on the boat being towed) and the tank i left enough water to keep the gravel wet and it was placed in the boat as well. wrapped in towels and had tomatoes that we had started in styrofoam cups that were placed in the tank for more padding. all but 2 fish made it.

brackbrat

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
WI
Same here... All but two fish. Lost my betta and pearl gourami to ick a few days later.

Side note: Be careful to test your SG very carefully as you refill the tank in the new place. I had to use a different amount of salt in the new place to get the same SG as before. *shrugs, blames liquid rock water she's stuck with now*

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ahhh, beautiful. Thanks for the advice, guys. Thankfully it's just a short trip up the stairs and not across the state! Think it's safe to hold the puffers with the mollies/bumblebee gobies/dragon goby as I physically shift the tank upstairs?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Surely will help in the move later today! Thankfully, it's just a minor shift to the upstairs rather than across the state.

Think it's okay to house the puffers with the other guys while I shift the tank?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Surely will help in the move later today! Thankfully, it's just a minor shift to the upstairs rather than across the state.

Think it's okay to house the puffers with the other guys while I shift the tank?

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
how long is it going to take...not very long maybe an hour... I wouldnt worry about them put them in a bucket with an airstone and they should be alright. They will stress out and will be in a little shock so wont really bother eachother. just make start to finish as quick as possable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store