Betta Albimarginata setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I've got a couple Albie's in my 40B community tank. They are doing fine and won't let anyone else push them around. Tons of personality and are very aware and curious about my presence. So I'd like to put together a display that would suit them a bit better. The 40B has a bit too much current(fluval canister filter) and way too much light(finnex Ray2).

What I'm thinking so far is a 20L with the Albie's as the focus.
Substrate=MGOPS with an Ecocomplete cap, and a layer of oak leaves.
Two 50W Eheim heaters(I like redundancy and with a low flow setup I think two will make for even heat)
Light ?? I wanted to go LED just to keep electricity use down, thinking about Marineland single bright, hoping it's low enough for the bettas but bright enough for some low light plants.
Filter?? I always see air powered sponge filters recommended, but I dislike them because of salt creep from the bubbles popping at the surface. I have a finnex HOB refugium and was thinking of using it as a low flow HOB filter with a sponge over the powerhead intake and maybe some GAC/Purigen in the chambers or just fill it full of lava rock rubble.

Aquascape will feature a branching piece of driftwood with mostly Crypts in the background. Not sure what else for plants.

Not sure about tank mates. I was originally thinking about some CPD's and some Tuberschistura arakanensis, but I'm not sure either would be happy in this biotope.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Adam

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store