Betta has popeye - treatment questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i am not saying it is definitely not more. Just that we need to figure out more specifically WHAT it is. We need to slow down and figure it out, not just keep throwing meds. Meds can cause more harm than good sometimes.

I don't think the food hurts, it is very mild. The way the thread read was maracyn, peas, medicated food, betta remedy, epsom salts. Its all just too much when it was all a guess based on an initial pop eye which resolved.

I am not sure that the fish just wasn't really stressed initially from the heater failure.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Point well taken, Jinkzy. I hope that with a few days of rest and quiet he will settle down and get over this.

I've had a few cases of Popeye that ultimately proved to be a symptom of an internal infection. I had one case that was from gas bubble disease in which the fish recovered completely. I've been guilty of a kneejerk reaction to this... I hope the little guy will be feeling like his old self soon.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
any updates? Really pulling for your little guy!

I agree. :) Please let us know how things are going for Sparky. We are all pulling for him.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
I know Chickadee is nursing an ill, older guinea pig, at the same too (and working of course), so sometimes doesn't get near the computer for a day or so.

Sending good wishes to the pig and to Sparky! :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
BFM: I know next to nothing about BR so this may be a stupid question. Is it possible that the difference in water chemistry from the tank full of BP, and then the clear water entering could've caused that reaction/response? Or is it like most meds and is pretty much cleared or inactive from/in the water column by the time she did the water change anyhow?
hey, sorry Saje, i totally missed this when i came back and peeked at this thread.

i've done multiple large water changes on betta bowls that were fully dosed with the BR and then dosed just plain dechlorinated water without new BR being added. never had an issue at all with any of the bettas in my care doing this, and changes were 100%.

from what i have read and experienced, meds break down quickly in water. that is why the large water changes daily with new meds administered is best.

i don't think the water change itself is what stressed the betta in this case, but something scared the bejeebers out of him during the water change.

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Unnecessary/drastic water changes? Hm, this is the first I’m hearing that water changes are a bad thing. Meds or no meds, that’s all I’ve been told to do since the start of this thread. If there is a caveat to water changes, sure would’ve been nice to know about it before.

I do think he improved on the Betta Revive. I don’t know what happened that night, but he looked completely debilitated to me. I really thought he was a goner and I managed to bring him back to life. So hey, I did that right. After a few days’ setback he seems to be back to where he was, and looking even better today.

Thanks everyone for your help and concern. Means a lot that you all cared enough to stick with me throughout this monster thread and help him through. It’s so nice to look over at his tank and see him swimming around again. I took this pic just now.

Sparky 021211.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
good to hear he's pretty much back to his old self.

that photo totally says 'what's all this fuss about? lil ol' me?' lol!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
glad to hear he is steadily improving!

I just wanted to clarify, I don't think you did anything deliberately wrong! You were CLEARLY trying your best for your guy, and regardless of the means, he seems to be improving! I am very glad for that :)

For the record, I think the water changes are right now. Cerianthus disagrees with most of us about the curative powers of wc's :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store