Betta in a community tank question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
I have a 18 gallon tank, and I had 2 guppies (one male and one female), 2 leopard danios, 2 aquatic frogs, and a plecostemus. (and a black mystery snail). I had no problems, really.. after a coule nips to the danios fins, he left them alone. The only problem, was after the fact, they all got ick, and my 2 guppies died, and my betta got it pretty bad. He's just fully recovered recently, and, I plan to put him back in the tank as soon as the cycle is finished.

WildFrisco

AC Members
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
Bettas behave differently from one to the next. I've had like 6 and every one of them is unique, "personality"-wise. I've had 3 fat honey dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon with my betta and did very well together. They'd chase each other every now and then, but not the betta.

Bettas and zebra danios? Not sure. I know they are very active but try it and see if any fin nipping occurs. I've had bettas with cardinal tetras before with no problem. The cardinals are a little more shy with the betta around.

Currently I have a betta with lyretail hifin swordtail, and 3 semi-fancy guppies (not feeder guppies, and not show winning guppies). No problems at all. You'll just have to try it and see.

WildFrisco

AC Members
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
Oh yeah I have to add that I've had like 2 extremely aggressive bettas before that didn't like any other fish no matter the size or finnage. I exchanged them =)

baileya74

AC Members
Jan 29, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I had a Beta in my tank. Had to take him out because the Danios would pick at it's fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store