Betta in an aquarium with sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
All my bettas are in with sand and i haven't experienced any issues so I think your good to go. I def agree with bettafishmommy..plant that sucker! :)

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
I only use sand in my tanks. Spangles the betta, like all of my other fish, will pick at things on the bottom of the tank, and spit out anything that isn't food. Sand included.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
yay! It's an excellent feeling to know that there are those out there that actually using sand and not having any issues. To add on to that, there's no one who has said that I CANNOT use sand.

Just brilliant. I don't need to remove the sand from my aquarium now. Just need to get it cycled by the end of this month. Coolio!

I'm tempted to get a few plants this weekend. Hopefully, it should be ok eventhough the cycling isn't properly even got going yet.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Wow I've never heard anything about bettas and substrate choices. It seems to me that they are completely oblivious to the substrate. Naturally I wouldn't use broken glass, but any reasonable substrate should be just fine for a betta. We have sand in all of our tanks and I have never seen the slightest issue for the bettas.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
read through the thread you linked and from what i gather the person that had a betta die 'from eating sand' also had a piggy betta, and they didn't confirm there was sand in the digestive system of the fish (autopsy).

i still stand firm that sand is fine for bettas.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
read through the thread you linked and from what i gather the person that had a betta die 'from eating sand' also had a piggy betta, and they didn't confirm there was sand in the digestive system of the fish (autopsy).

i still stand firm that sand is fine for bettas.
Yep. The logic seemed to be 'betta pellets look like sand so the betta ate sand'. So far I've noticed that, while fish may think something looks like food, they are very good at detecting and spitting it out if it turns out to actually not be food.

My female betta is doing great so far with sand substrate. But I tend to feed her up at the surface and whatever heads towards the sand is usually snatched up by the barbs so haven't really seen her sifting through the sand for food.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
with my betta there is always food that goes to the bottom of the tank. he's one of those slow and polite eaters, lol. i've seen him pick little crumbles of food up without disturbing so much as one grain of sand in his tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store