Betta what is wrong!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I have a 5.5 gallon aquarium that is split with two bettas and some ottos. One betta kind of floats on his side. He seems fine other than that. He eats, but it seems as if he can't swim straight. Sometimes he'll act like he is stuck in the plants, but he really isn't stuck. He did have ick a couple weeks ago, but I cleared that up. What could be wrong? He has very long fins, is this a sign that he is old? Could it be swim bladder disease?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
he cannot swim straight ever or just sometimes. They are really good at playing dead or looking like they are caught up in stuff.

Is your betta's color normal? Is it active? What are your other water parameters? How long have you owned it? (Very long fins aren't a sign of age besides possibly showing if you have a baby or adult, as far as I know).

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I've had him for about two months. Water is heated around 78 degrees. I have a sign of nitrites and have been doing water changes to lower that. I do water changes once a week, unless the nitrites spike. Ammonia is 0, KH is 13, Ph jumps around and is at 8.4 right now, Nitrates are about 10 and Phosphates are about .25. It is a planted tank. He seems worse today. He is just floating at the top on his side. It seems as if he can't swim down. He just floats unless I open the lid and then he tries to swim toward me. He is resting on a big leaf at the top right now. His eyes look a little bulgy, but I really can't tell. Could he have popeye?

Thanks!

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
The pic. were a little hard to see anything in. In the first, his whole body looked bloated along the mid line.

What I did notice in your parameters is that you should have NO nitrIte. Very very bad for fish. some nitrate is ok, but if you read any traces of nitrite change your water asap. ESP in such a small tank, if you are still cycling, which you are if you are getting nitrIte, you need to porbably do daily changes. I had to change my 15 every day when I fishey cycled. Or else you are poisioning it's "air", and it can't breath right.

If it isn't poisioned by nitrIte, it could be stressed and more succeptable to other problems, which may be the symptoms you're seeing.

Change the water, put the heat in the 80s and add a little salt. that's what I'd do.

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I'll try that. I tested nitrites last night and it had just a little bit. I'll keep a close eye on it and change the water again. I'm afraid he is getting popeye. His eyes look larger than the other bettas. I'm SO worried!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
You might also try fasting him for several days. If there is some constipation it can cause swimbladder problems. I would then try feeding him a shelled blanched pea to help "move" things along.

I would do all that the above ladies suggested they are extremely experienced and really know their stuff! :thm:

I wish your guy luck and hope he pulls through.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
Whenever i have bred b.splendens and the bubblenest has not been kept together (with the fry in it), i have always had losses. Normally, the fish appear to become positivly bhoyant, and are unable to compensate. This results in them floating helplessly on their sides.

As far as i am aware, the only way to deal with this is to euthenise the fish - in the wild (or even in a tank) a fish flailing like this could be picked off by a whole host of predators.

Im afraid thats the most honest advice i can give.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store