Bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarthPookie

AC Members
Jun 20, 2006
female bettas, not males

I have a female betta in a community tank with mollies, and have no problems. Watch how they eat though, I find the mollies are a bit more competitive than the female betta for food.

aquapants

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
portland, me
It makes sense that bettas would prefer still water to a current, but mine loves to hang out right next to the filter. He fights his refelction for a good 1/3 of the day Id say. Its really quite humorous. Usually he is very tolerant of his other tank mates but after a good round of flash the fins, he struts around the tank like a bully. Mostly none of the other fish pay any attention to him. They will swim right up in front of him; hes all chase and no nip. ha ha
They are really interesting fish, and in my experience, they actually do better in a well suited community tank than by themselves. They are very curious, and will be more active with good tankmates around. Good luck!

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
I definitely want a beta now. If I have nothing in my tank that looks like a beta I could get a male or female right?

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I definitely want a beta now. If I have nothing in my tank that looks like a beta I could get a male or female right?
What else is in the aquarium?

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
4 white skirt tetras (people say they nip but they really seem friendly and I think they would get along) and one rainbow shark. 29g soon to be 55g maybe in a few weeks.

CHRISTINE BAIRD

Christine
Mar 7, 2008
Midlands, UK
I put a betta in with my Sailfin Mollies and Red Platys and sadly they got at it, completely nipped away at his tail in no time (over night) and he gave up and died.

Jun 25, 2007
I wouldn't try a betta in a community tank. Those long flowing fins are too tempting to other fish, particularly faster fish like danios and mollies. Keep him on his own with some safe bottom dwellers like corys or otos.

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
I currently house my BETTA in a 2.5G which I also use as a Hospital Tank. He lives with a spotted cory and is very happy with him. However my HM betta doesn't like Guppies; I got a pair and he teared up half the male's fin and pretty much ate the female =(. So I learned my lesson. One day I found a bone and head with two dots (head) in the tank. HOLY MOLY my betta is a beast!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
Also keep in mind that if you have a lot of current, the Betta might get over stressed by that as well- they much prefer water without, or with very very little water.
Are you sure they don't need any water?

I know, I know...you meant to add 'movement' or 'current' on the end of the last sentence.... LOL :grinyes: I'm only teasin'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store