Big Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
You can take it out and scrub it but I'd make finding the source of the hair algae my top priority. I would leave the rock in there. Even if you leave it out in the bin it will come back until you find the source.

I might have missed it but how long have you had your carbon in the tank and how often do you change it? Are you planning on using different water when you do your water changes?

Calogero831

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
Seriously, find someplace that sells ro/di water. I have a place not too far away that sells me a 5g bucket worth of salty ro/di for $6. I just bring over my old instant ocean bucket and have them fill it up.

I know petco's across the nation do that too. <----(PREVIOUS POST...SORRY I DONT NO HOW TO QUOTE SOMEONE LOL) :) NEWB!

my 1st real water change was shoprite brand distilled water at like 1.50 a gallon x6 is 9$ plus the cost of the salt i added which was like 15-20$ for 25lbs of salt.

is it worth it to pick up the premixed salt petco sells in jugs of 5 gallons. bc i never herd of anywhere that fill up your buckets for that cheap. you jsut go in there and ask the 16 yr old kid for distilled water and hand him a bucket?

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Alright, 2day is the big "Cleanup" day :)

Now, I am going to call my local PS, seeing they only deal in Fresh water and we only have 1 PS here, I am hopeing they use RO on there tanks! I was offered 2 dollars a gallon yesterday, But I was thinking about other things to jump on that! But I will psyphon out the algae so not to disturb it, As I don't want to spread it. I change my carbon every month! Oh and by the way, lastnight I was using the red flash light tech, and we noticed our little crab friend that came with our moon rock is still alive! I have no idea what type he is, but he is a night dweller!! And some wierd looking worms!! Alot of white long ones we noticed!

Now someone mentioned a velvet Nuda, I read that is Carnivorous!

I will post pics, as it goes... I will use Aqua Plus for my water 2day, until I get a hold of my local PS!! Crossin my fingers,

Steve

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Depending on the brand I would change the carbon much more frequently or not use it at all. A lot of activated carbon media can only be used a few days. Most are known for leaching phosphates into your tank.

Please check out these articles out of the many on the internet...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/V4I2/carbon/carbon_comparisons.htm

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filtration/a/aa061098.htm

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/carbon.html

Good luck with the RO finding and let us know what happens!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You not need to be the one to do that, the algae will spread itself. Siphon out what you can and afterwards you use a toothbrush to clean off the rocks and so and not remove the LR and use a large brush. While your doing this slow process, you continue your water changes and at the beginning of this, do the water changes for the first three times a few days apart and after that once a week I believe you do a water change of 20 gals each to start and later when you get this clean up and under control, 15 gals a week. That's only if you get it under control for you might find yourself having to do weekly water changes of 20 gals Plan now with you FS to get for your tank a cleaning crew once you removed the heavy algae.

Its funny in a way for I not used carbon in my sumps since 9-10 years ago that I called it quits in keeping FO tanks. But not everyone faces the same problem for like I was saying, we all not do the same in stocking and feeding and as well, our water changes. Carbon is a good thing, for in the tanks I have inhabitants, I not need carbon for the lights for one thing are only on six hours a day and on these two tanks as on system with a 40 gal sump, I do a weekly water change of 30 gals.

Good Luck in your clean up :)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Here's food for thought:

That algae in your tank thrives when conditions are right. Your coral and such need the light, so you have to leave that condition alone (unless your bulbs are OLD, then they can change freq. and put out light the algae likes, but corals don't necessarily like).

They also need food. That usually being phosphates and nitrates.

Nitrates you say are 0, and that's good.

Which leaves phosphates. You could test your phosphates, but they'd probably be 0, because the algae is eating them all. This is why i said testing for phosphates is kind of wothless, UNLESS you're testing the water you put in the tank before it gets there. That is an interesting tell.

So, here's the thing: Your tank has this food (phosphates) in it. Your algae is eating it, but not producing it.

If you cut off the source of the phosphates, your algae is going to just eat as much as it can and then start to die for lack of it.

So, if you replace your water with the same water you've been using, you're replenishing the algae's food, which is something you DON'T want to do. If your normal params are fine, just don't do any water changes for a bit, till you get to the good water, or you're just 'supercharging' that algae.

Now, lets say you do change your water, and start putting in new water with no phosphates/nitrates/whatever for the algae, now the algae in there already is still eating that food which is now not replenishing.

So, if you leave it in there, theoretically, it should eat up that food faster, because there'd be more of it.

Of course, you don't want it to overshadow your corals and cause them to die, but you get what I'm saying.

Cut them off at the supply chain, and you're ahead of the game.

Hope that helps. I mean, you saw my pictures, and mine's coming along...and if it can bounce back from that...so can you!

:)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
PS - vacuuming the hair out will probably be a lost cause. It sticks REALLY well to whatever it's attached to.

You could vacuum up the sand or whatever, but then you're messing with your substrate, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Just use your hands and pull clumps out, throw them in a cup or bucket or something, and just keep on it.

And keep us posted, ok? ;)

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I would watch out on using walmart`s water for they even with the fish they hold for sale not even do right by them, but if you take the suggestion and go there for there water, test it before you use it. But I suggest you go to your LFS and spend an extra 25 cents a gallon for something that is sure to be better.
Buddy, I think he was suggesting going to Walmart and using the Culligan RO machine to buy water- you don't even have to go anywhere near the pet dept. lol! It's usually over by the groceries. I also don't have the money up front to buy an RO/DI, so this is what I do. Granted, I only have a pico and a nano... so this is more cost effective for me than if I had a larger tank. Anyway, it's worked really well for me so far.

IME not all the pet store water is that great either... I know of a store here that sells salty and non-salty water, but it is not RO, just run through a water softener! What a ripoff!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
Buddy, I think he was suggesting going to Walmart and using the Culligan RO machine to buy water- you don't even have to go anywhere near the pet dept. lol! It's usually over by the groceries. I also don't have the money up front to buy an RO/DI, so this is what I do. Granted, I only have a pico and a nano... so this is more cost effective for me than if I had a larger tank. Anyway, it's worked really well for me so far.

yes, that was what i was suggesting.... when i first started my nano i bought water from my LFS not my walmart, but i know that some walmarts sell it as well..... i wasnt saying it should be his first option, just thinking that if he doesnt have the money to buy a unit, and that some LFS jack up RO prices and some dont even sell it... so i figured id mention walmart 8).

EDIT: but, if you can spend 100 or so dollars, you can find a cheap unit on EBAY, that will filter as many as 100gpd sometimes, i grabbed a 75gpd RO/DI 4 stage system off of ebay for 125 bucks all together.... if you dont have that kind of money in your budget (fish are expensive eh?) you can always look for lower GPD models too... some places make ones as low as 10 gpd.

Let us know how the cleaning goes!

-Jay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store