big tanks in apartments

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
I just reread that page, and you are right...but i have another way to look at it.. I just thought of this so bear with me in my description.

Take a piece of plywood, 3/4" thick, about 2'x2', take 4 nails or screws, and screw them in so it gives 4 little legs, Let's say each of the nails has a head that is 1/4" diameter, so area is....remembering geometry from so many years ago...each screw has a footprint of about .20 square inchs, so all 4 screws would be .8 square inches.

On top of this "table" place a 75 pound bag of sand or gravel, assuming the screws didn't give from all the weight, you would have about 94 pounds per square inch.

I know this is an extreme description, but I am trying to point out that the footprint can make a difference, but the overall weight is more important. We all know this little "table" won't fall through the floor, but it has a massive pounds per square inch.

If I confused everyone more I'm sorry, In reply to the original question in this post, I would be leary of putting a 100 gal tank on the 5th floor of an apartment, unless you knew for sure the floor could take the weight, and you have plenty of renters insurance for disaster. Just becaue the landlord said sure, put it in, doesn't mean they actually know it can safely support it.

Matt

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Ooooh I love these little debates!

I believe that once you throw out the ability of an objects foot to puncture the flooring material it still comes down to pounds per square foot of pressure. That's how most building codes regulate building procedures.

The fridge is still a bad analogy since, assuming a fridge weighs 150 lbs and has four feet totaling 4" of surface area, its still only exerting 37.5lbs per square inch of static load on the floor. Now, take a 55g tank and a standard stand with a 3/4" plywood box type base and you've got approximately 550lbs over 90 square inches of surface area for a static load of about 6.1lbs per square inch.

I think where aquariums pose a problem in regards to floors is the static weight. Asking a floor to support 1000lbs of tank and water for a day or two is one thing but to ask it to hold for 24 hours a day for a few years could cause trouble in older/wood construction homes.

Then again, since I'm no structural engineer, I could be completely full of s**t :D

Tom

Heetseeker

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
I'm a firefighter, and one of the things we have to worry about and deal with at every fire is floor loads. IMHO, once you've decided that the aquarium (or fridge) won't actually puncture the floor, then the overall weight is a huge factor. I've seen undamaged structures collapse due to water weight. Its something we think about while we're inside....If I'm downstairs, and somebody is dumping water upstairs, where does that leave me. Granted, more water, and generally you have to account for fire damage, but what about undamaged structures? I've felt floors bow from overloading going to a "pack-rats" house. The weight of the tank is what, 10lbs or more a gallon? on a 120 gallon tank, thats a volkswagon. Would you want that parked in your living room? Ok, I've rambled enough!!:D

Ozark Joe

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
FishFlusher, WA
Visit site
My point about the refrigerator is pounds per square inch, not total weight.
Of course an aquarium weighs more; but think about it, a refrigerator is upright, and it's weight is therefore more concentrated into a smaller "footprint." The "two men lifting" argument falls apart there.
Aquariums generally have a larger footprint. More weight, but spread out more, too.
Again, in simple terms, if the floor can withstand a refrigerator, it can most likely hold an aquarium. You WANT to put the aquarium cross-beam if you can, that adds strength/stability, and against the outside (load bearing) wall, or an interior load-bearing wall, are the best places of all.
I work at an architectural firm. I know these things.
If you doubt it, try putting an upright or grand piano where you want the aquarium. Again, if it will hold that (and most floors will), it will hold an aquarium. (Most folks have a refrigerator, though, and it's much easier to move than a piano.)

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Thanks for the old replies guys. Sorry to raise up a dead topic, but I was talking to the building manager today, and it turns out that underneath my hardwood floors is a nice slab of concrete. Given that the infrastructure of the building is made of concrete, and not just wooden beams, I'm inclined to believe that the floor could support a lot of weight. Do people agree? Do you think I could pull off a 150-180g?

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I had a minor problem with this in my old house - 300g on the third floor. I could notice warping by the third or fourth month. Maybe the real question is whether or not tanks that large can break through the floor without showing obvious warning signs first. That would make a big difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store