biological filtration....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Before and After the cleaning

DSC00597.JPG DSC00705.JPG

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Man, you weren't kiddiing. Those pics explain it all. I like the overgrown look of tank number one but I guess it is nice to be able to see the fish again!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
After those photo's I believe we can safely say that removal of the plants has caused the NH3 spike.

Up the water changes for the next couple of weeks until the bacteria have time to replace the plants.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
:iagree: definitely

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
yeh, It took approx. 6 hrs. to "prune" the tank. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to prune everyday when the plants really start growing.
I am doing water changes and hopefully I can keep the plants at bay this time! LOL:rolleyes:

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Man, you weren't kiddiing. Those pics explain it all. I like the overgrown look of tank number one but I guess it is nice to be able to see the fish again!
yeh, I started thinking that I lost a few cuz I couldn't find them anymore! :eek:

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
lol ... if you put those pictures in reverse you could easily pass them off as before and after pics showing growth ...

And I agree it's pretty much a no brainer as to why the ammonia spiked. Don't be surprised if your water clouds out with a bacterial bloom soon. Keep an eye on your amm and nitrite levels and plan for a few extra water changes. You'll probably need to do some while the bacteria are trying to catch up.

tankboy_taylor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Salem,NH
little ot but your Sev doesnt eat or dig up all your plants?

When my plants in my 20 get too big I put em in my big cichlid tank and between my Sev and Uaru they decimate them

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
little ot but your Sev doesnt eat or dig up all your plants?

When my plants in my 20 get too big I put em in my big cichlid tank and between my Sev and Uaru they decimate them

During the day my Sev doesn't seem to dig, but when I get up in the morning there are always floating plants. :grinyes:
I just have lots of them so he doesn't have a choice ! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store