biting the bullet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I have a canister that Im planning on using to aid in the flow of water mostly....I might put some media in there to help biologically, but that's it. I can put the sand in there tomorrow and let the tank continue to run with freshwater for the time being. how much sand would you guys put in a 75? I'm doing this tank super-slow because i'm on disability and california's system is extremely slow at times.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
If you just start with 75 lbs, it will be good. I would get 50 lbs of play sand, and a 25-30 lbs bag of argonite sand. This helps maintain the ph. Just rinse everything as well as you can before you put it in, and let it settle in.

If I were you, I would also start making it saltwater. Just buy a bag of complete sea salt mix (seachem or instant ocean etc., just make sure it says "no nitrates, no phosphates).

Your lights and filters are fine, and if you want FOWLR, it's fine, just remember, that there are some corals that are inexpensive that can live in low light conditions.

in addition to your filter, I would suggest that you get a couple of power heads, when you are able. You will see that dead spots in SW tanks accumulate tons of algae and other stuff that makes the tank look "meh".

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
i just put 50 lbs. of aragonite sand in there last night. got tired of looking at bare glass. it has pretty good coverage so i might stay with the 50lbs...not completely sure yet

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
well it's been a month or so. i have about 35 lbs. of live rock (**** it's expensive!). People tend to say 1 lb/ gal. in my 75 that comes out to around $450 (4.99/lb.) of just rock. i'm set to buy more tomorrow with a $125 gift certificate i received on christmas. If there is something better to spend that money on let me know.

I have 2 koralia 2's and a koralia 1. A canister filter (hydor) with next to no media and an emperor 400. Plenty of heaters that i can use. I'm up for any suggestions.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
well it's been a month or so. i have about 35 lbs. of live rock (**** it's expensive!). People tend to say 1 lb/ gal. in my 75 that comes out to around $450 (4.99/lb.) of just rock. i'm set to buy more tomorrow with a $125 gift certificate i received on christmas. If there is something better to spend that money on let me know.

I have 2 koralia 2's and a koralia 1. A canister filter (hydor) with next to no media and an emperor 400. Plenty of heaters that i can use. I'm up for any suggestions.
Would you believe if I tell you I paid as high as 23 dollars/lb in late 80's/90's, that is if and when avail. To fill up 125G, and few more tanks, do the math.
The rocks were higher quality than what is avail today, full of freebies, spiney oysters, clams, tube worm, sporadic porites with x-mas tubes worms, variety of sponges, etc, etc. Many SPS were lost due to lack of information at first but as soon as MH were added, more and more sps tend to survive and grow.
Even Florida LR were full of virtually free ricordea with stunning colors. Unfortunately or should I say fortunately, it has been banned since mid to late 90's.
Hoping for cultured LR from Florida at affordable price soon.

Hope all goes well and enjoy!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store