Black baloon mollies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Saucyuice

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2024
Recently my black baloon mollies has given birth and yes there will be no baby chops because i had them since they are still a fry and all of them are pure. My question here is why majority of the newborn fry is black while 2 of them is like transparent and smaller and no signs of being black. Will they turn black too?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Odds are, no, if theyre not like the others. Genetics are funny, aren't they? They may develop into another colour if parents had any surprise genes.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Livebearer females can store sperm for a while. So even if they haven't lived with any male for quite some time, well, they may still carry his/their genetic material...Like NoodleCats said, you never know...genetics are funny.

Reactions: Saucyuice

Saucyuice

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2024
Livebearer females can store sperm for a while. So even if they haven't lived with any male for quite some time, well, they may still carry his/their genetic material...Like NoodleCats said, you never know...genetics are funny.
My tank is 5 galon and there are no other fish than those black mollies and i have them since they are a fry and this is their first time having babies i don't quite understand how they can have other genes when all of her tankmates are black mollies to since birth

Reactions: StripedRaphCat1234$

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are recessive genes that don't "show" unless there is inheritance from both parents. Think of people's recessive blue eyes. 2 brown eyed (dominant gene) parents can have a blue eye child if both carry the recessive blue gene & both are passed to a child. Any brown gene & the child would have brown eyes but carry blue genes too.

There may also be 2 or more variable genes in your mollies. The balloon shape is 1 (I'm not sure if it's recessive or it can "blend" into a little bit ballonish. I don't think it's dominant, but I could be wrong). Color & fin length/shape could also be in the fry genetic mix. It's like Forrest Gump & the box of chocolates, you really don't know what you might get. It can get complicated for people that breed for specific multiple traits.

Reactions: Saucyuice
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store