Black "furry" algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lisasha3

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Have been keeping tanks for many years now - but this is first experience with this black "furry, hairy" algae overtaking my tank. I can't seem to get rid of it. Have tried algae solutions - nothing. Have also removed everything from the tank and let completely dry out for 5 days (with the thought that maybe tha algae couldn't survive in the air) - nothing.
Had someone tell me the only way to get rid of it was remove all the algae infected items, bleach them and leave them open to the air to evaportate the harmful chemicals off. Although this sounds logical, it also sounds scary. Bleach and Fishies??? Just does not seem like a good combo.
Anyone have any advice? The black fuzz is driving me nuts! It's so ugly.
Thanks
Lisa

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
What do you keep in the tank?

If you don't have anything too big or aggressive (ie: tigerbarbs etc..) Get yourself some ghost shrimp.

Depending on the size of the tank. I have 4 in my 20 gallon long. They cleaned that baby up in a matter of days. they are very peaceful and not at all aggressive. Plus they never stop eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store