Bloodfin tetra....mix with other tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b_dog

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
Woke up this morning with a dead bloodfin tetra. I only have 1 other bloodfin, 2 black skirt tetras, and 2 oto's now. This tetra that died was at least 18 months old. The only thing that has been noticable on the water was a higher pH(8.4) in the tank since I had to switch water sources after a recent move. I am unfortunately not sure what the pH reading was before the move. But I heard the water here in town has a very high pH. Should I try to reduce it?

the LFS close by doesn't ever have blood fins. Would a lemon tetra or a similair size one possibly go well with a bloodfin? Just feel bad with him by himself now? Any suggestions on possible tetras?

*Edit/Update* -- I tested the pH this afternoon on my own kit and it turned out to be roughly 7.6. Don't know what method the LFS was using to test it. Hmmm. I found another LFS that does sell bloodfins so if my pH is ok i will probably pick up some of those. Planning on monitoring the pH for a bit though

Last edited:

b_dog

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
Water tested out several days ago at LFS with a 8+ pH, but today I used my own kit and it read out to roughly 7.6 ...kinda odd. Going to monitor the pH for the next few days and maybe take it to a different LFS.

Would it be worse off if the pH was high to try to use RO mixed with tap water for water changes?

Thanks!

Last edited:

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
What kind of test kit are you using and what kind of test kit does the lfs use? The strips tend to be not acurate. Also, check the date on your test kit.

I don't think that 7.6 is too high for tetra. Just a matter of opinion, though.

How large is the tank? Has it fully cycled since your move? Can you tell if the bloodfin was ill or was showing any signs of disease? I wouldn't get any more fish until you can kinda figure out the bloodfin's cause of death.

Good Luck!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store