Blue Acara Funny...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
So last night,
I'm sitting on my couch watching my S.A. 55 gal and the female Blue Acara picked up a leaf and started trying to eat and swim with it. Next the male took it away from her...Following that she refused to give it up and proceeded to play tug-o-war with the leaf with the male!

I thought about filming it, but if I had approached the tank with cell phone, they would have split up.

So I just chuckled and enjoyed the show.

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's why we love our cichlids! Females are not whimpy & don't back down as you've seen. That's why I have concerns about you adding Bolivian rams to this tank. Do you see the possible issues? Acaras are much larger & are having a breeding thought or 2. Females especially...for their size, they are much more aggressive...& you have 2 females right? Be careful!! Or have a back up plan for the Bolivian(s?). I see trouble ahead...

Reactions: TetraFreak

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I actually scrapped adding the rams.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never kept Bolivians, I think I said in another thread. But I also think you've made the right decision not to get them for this tank.

I would love to see acara pics, they have always been favorites!

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
Many species of the genus Andinoacara, will lay eggs on a leaf and if threatened will carry it to another place in a tank, if that place feels more secure.
IMG_5976.jpeg
The Andioacara coerleopunctatus carried this leaf around its tank until the eggs hatched.
The tannins exuding from the leaf, being slightly anti--fungal, and antibacterial may also aid in a more successful hatch.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Great pic! I hadn't heard of Andinoacara coerleopunctatus, so many more species now than when we kept them many years ago. She does look very acara, pretty! Do you know if "they" have split the acara genus into more types? I'll have to read more. Yours has more red in the tail than "my" girls did.

I guess carrying a leaf with eggs away is better than eating them all if they feel threatened.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
There are 9 recognized species in the genus Andinoacara at the moment.
IMG_3450.jpeg
IMG_8559.jpeg
Mine were caught in Central Panama, are kept in a 180 gal tank at a pH of 8.2, fairly hard water, and non--detectable nitrate similar to the parameters they were caught in.
The Andinoacara do well with plants, and the large tetras and gobies they were caught with as tank mates.
They are aggressive with each other, I started with about a dozen 2" juvies, at maturity the alpha male killed all other males, and allowed 3 females to share his 180 gal 6 foot print tank space. He has hit about 7" in length, the females @ 5"
IMG_2339.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store