Blue Betta HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree--get a small heater, and move the light so it doesn't affect the temp of the tank. I have a betta in my planted 40, and he swims all over in the tank. They are tropical, so 60 is not an appropriate temp for the fish, and the fluctuations from the light going on and off won't help, and may stress the fish.

As for oxygen levels--bettas are labyrinth fish. They get very little of their oxygen from their water. Instead, they surface and gulp air into the labyrinth organ within their heads, and get oxygen from the air. This is why bettas is the plant jars sometimes die--the plant roots over grow the surface and prevent the betta from being able to surface.

flavorflav

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2005
Is 64 too cold?

I have a betta who lives in a 3/4 gallon tank, the lid of his home has a light in it, however I am concerned that he might freeze this winter. I have heard mixed comments, that he needs to be 70-75 and that room temperature is perfectly fine.

I have found a mini heater, that is for a 2-5 gallon tank, and again, mixed comments, one person said it would be safe, another says no way.

Should I worry about a heater?

Thanks!

flavorflav

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2005
Feeding

Now that it is getting colder, should I cut his food intake back? He doesn't seem to be as active, however he still has a huge appetite. I feed him 6 pieces of flakes in the morning (6:00am) and 6 pieces of flakes and one blood worm in the evening (6:00pm).

He also doesn't seem to poop very much, is this normal?

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Yes they need heaters. Unless your house by some miraculous act of nature stays within the same 5 degrees every day of the year that happens to keep the tank at 70-75.

As far as feeding I keep my feedings at once a day Mon-Sat, they fast on Sundays. I only feed them about 3 flakes or 5 piece of tropical granules. Twice a week I will usually give them a couple FD Bloodworms each.

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I am not a pro - but my bettas tank is at 80 degrees and he seems to love it. He is really active and swims all over HIS 10Gallon tank - all the time. I think it really helps them to be nice and active. They are after all tropical fish and come from very hot and humid areas... where 85 degree water is not unusual.

Oh and about the poop - as odd as it sounds i yet have to see mine do it. I think mine hides in his plants or behind the rocks to do it or waits till noone looks... lol
No i am not kidding....

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I have yet to use it, so I can't comment on its performance, but I bought a heater especially for small tanks from www.drsfostersmith.com, it was 10 dollars or so if I remember correctly :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store