blue hippo tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
if you didn't cycle the tank, your tang (and anyother occupants) is going to be dead real soon. ckeck out the stickie on cycling. (sorry, couldn't get the link)

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
swimchica408 said:
the tank is 10 gallons and its been running for about a week
Regardless of the tank size, your Tang will be dead soon if you don't move it; one week means your system has not cycled and the ammonia will destroy this animal. A hardy damsel would be better, even a dead shrimp will get things started, but you should have never been sold the hepatus, and the LFS where you bought it should have asked/provided you with better direction here. Please get a good book and make sure you understand the cycling procedure for new marine systems.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
BBN, to answer your question, if you have other occupants in new tank, you should turn off the lights when you put the tang in. don't worry, it shouldn't be that big of a problem

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
Not to mention the $$$ one has to dunk to get a Blue Hippo. I paid $60 for mine but has been well worth the money. OK, anyone know the precautionary maesures I need to move mine to another tank?

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
Thanks Freddie. I was wondering. I'd sure hate to do something detrimental to the little guy after thriving nicely for 2 years. Wanting to give him a bigger home but hate to see him kill over after two years. Thanks again. That helped my anxiety. :bowing: :thm:

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
Tangs

To take care of the tang-in-the-10-gallon problem, you should probably do 40%-50% water changes every day! you could even add some Cycle or Bio Spira to add some nitrifiers to the mix.

How big is this fish currently?

Do you have a lettuce clip?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm... anyone else feel like someone's trolling for the tang police? Swimichica, my apologies if this post was genuine - and if it is, I recommend returning the tang (and scolding the LFS employee who sold it to you), and some serious research, quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store