Blue Rams Pairs? Trios? Groups?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
I would NOT keep two female Rams with one male. Unlike Apistos, Rams are pair brooders, not harem brooders. The 'spare' female will be beaten up whenever she gets too close to the pair. Trust me, I've seen it happen in a 4' tank!

So. One male and one female Ram (they're easy to sex, so your LFS shouldn't have an issue getting you a likely pair) OR a a group of Apistos.

On the Apisto note - I love 'em too. Be careful keeping different kinds, as they will hybridize. You can either keep the fry or get rid of them, but don't try to sell them as anything other than hybrids - Apisto fans are kinda picky about that! I don't want mine to hybridize, 'cause I'd like to sell the fry, so I'm keeping a large group of A. macmasteri in my 75 and then setting up smaller species tanks for whatever other Apistos I come across - probably Hongsloi and Panduro, next! :)

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
I've never had trouble sexing rams. I look at the dorsal 'mohawk', the red blush on the belly, and the irridescent blue scales flecking the dark circle on their sides. Males have elongated dorsal rays (not always the best indicator on young fish), no pink belly blush (again, not the best), and NO blue flecks in that black spot on the side (best way to sex younger fish, in my opinion).

Check this link for more info: Sexing Microgeophagus ramirezi.

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
Gold rams, it's hard for me to put into writing a sure-fire way to sex them. I work at my LFS, so you kinda develop a knack for it after a while. Normally, though, you can tell by just watching the tank for a few minutes. Males have 'attitude'. You can see them guarding their territory and occasionally running other fish away. They're a little larger and a little more yellow than the females. Females are a bit smaller and tend to group together more when they're younger, unless a male has tempted them over to his pad! :) Plus, if you see a larger fish and a smaller fish hanging out together and chasing others away, it's a good bet that they're a young couple just starting out!

Hope that helps.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
If anyone is looking for good quality balloon rams, they also have baloon long fin rams and gold rams the LFS in NY has them I am sure they can send them out. They are sold at $8/each. Very clean stock.
Northern Aquarium 718-321-9722

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Thanks for all the info, I will pick up some gold females I hope, have 2 males now.
I do see more males sold then females.

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
You may want to consider figuring out if the rams are asian bred. The asian bred rams are usually filled with hormones to enhance there coloring. Thi results in the rams have shorter lives and they may be infertle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store