Blue's 80 Gallon Mbuna Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grays

AC Members
May 7, 2009
looks great I like the rocks on one side and the big plant on the other. I may copy :)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Each bulb is 32 watts. It's not enough to grow anything besides algae but it does look nice.

looks great I like the rocks on one side and the big plant on the other. I may copy :)
Thanks! And feel free. I spent hours looking at other people's scapes until i figured out what I wanted to do. this was actually based off of a reef set up :D

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Cool deal man... I like the setup. The rocks look nice. U say u have mostly juvies. Just a word of warning, as they grow up, u may have to modify the rocks to add enough seperate territories, since u may end up with one aggressive male taking over the entire rock pile. As mostly juvies u shouldnt have any issues. Who knows, that may work for forever though. Just wanted give u the fyi. Looks great man!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks!

I had to move the rocks several times when they were in the 55 gallon. For now my white top hara male rules the place. His aggression hasn't been too bad. Just a lot of displaying and some chasing.

I was surprised but the mbuna really like the plants and the younger ones have been using them a lot. Some of the adults have been using them as well. In the 55 gallon my subdominant msobo had a pretty rough life. the dominant male constantly chased him into the rocks. Now the plants break up the line of sight and the subdominant male is out a lot more. In fact the aggression between to 2 has settled down.

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Thats great to hear. I used to have some plants as well ans the smaller fish loved them. As they got older they tore them up, lol. Eventually I had to get rid of them. Tank looks great! Makes me want to try a few vals again. maybe itll work this time, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store